View Poll Results: What do you think about a news / opinions section?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea

26 96.30%
  • Not a good idea

1 3.70%

News on GeoExpat.Com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

News on GeoExpat.Com

The whole rapid publishing of news -- for the purpose of community feedback and opinions -- bug has gotten into me.

On one of our other sites, we have upped our traffic by about 50% once we introduced a news section.

What do you think of a geoexpat.com blog, which would allow you to express your views on news about Hong Kong, business and finance related to expats .. etc etc ...

I think its a great idea, but does anything news-worthy enough to talk about ever actually happen in Hong Kong?

A lot ...

Yesterday

1) Korean protestors were set free .. I think it is insulting to the local police force and the people of HK if the police force was incompetant enough to arrest people without ensuring that there was enough evidence to prosecute.

2) New rumors about the anti-discrimination law .. which might end up being so severe that it will affect expat allowances

Lots of stuff .... we tend to think that there is no news.. most of the time because we're too apathetic ... you know how it goes "get to work .. and continue working until its time to hit the pub".

Hmmm point taken. Maybe I'm just apathetic because I can't read Chinese and refuse to pay for online news (namely the SCMP) so end up reading the Standard. Getting just the business news doesn't paint the best picture of a place like Hong Kong... the place must have a soul out there somewhere?

As for the WTO protestors being set free, I think the Police were happy enough just to lock them up for the last day so they wouldn't cause anymore negative publicity and leave it at that. The last thing the HK Govt wants is to pay for prison accomodation for this lot for the next five years. They'd be delighted to send them home so they can become someone elses problem the next time the WTO rocks around...

(Will continue the discussion on ... the blog)

Yeah ok... maybe this blog thing could work!

It's critically dependent on whether you are going to allow any robust discussion and expression of opinions which are anything other than anodyne. And what about any news that might be related to your advertisers?

If not then you'll end up with a huge amount of censoring / editing / banning work and something as pathetic as "Speaker's (sic) Corner" over at the Other Place.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It's critically dependent on whether you are going to allow any robust discussion and expression of opinions which are anything other than anodyne. And what about any news that might be related to your advertisers?

If not then you'll end up with a huge amount of censoring / editing / banning work and something as pathetic as "Speaker's (sic) Corner" over at the Other Place.

Have to agree with you there, that other place has been ruined by petty censorship and also 'exclusive' agreements with advertisers.

Anyone's participation is voluntary ... and we will reserve the right to edit / delete profanity and rude / abusive comments... so, if you don't like it, walk away.

(Having said that you still hold the record for having been edited / banned the most.. yet you keep coming back .. just admit that you love us, irrespective of what we do...)

Have to agree with you there, that other place has been ruined by petty censorship and also 'exclusive' agreements with advertisers.
    Have we shown any signs of that?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast