Counterfeit luxury goods- bad stories for China and legit businesses!

Closed Thread

Counterfeit luxury goods- bad stories for China and legit businesses!

For the life of me, I cannot understand why someone wants a fake watch, bag or other item but as long as there are customers these stories continue. They also harm legit business too in non related industries as people worry about made in China even if they don't need to.

WASHINGTON/GUANGZHOU China – Anybody could tell right away that the Louis Vuitton shoulder bag was fake because it was delivered in a recycled box that once shipped batteries.

Warnings printed on the inside of the box read: “Danger Contains Sulfuric Acid” and “Poison — Causes Severe Burns” — not the sort of messages that would normally accompany a product from one of the world’s most iconic luxury brands.

But it sure looked real. It was dark brown, sported a braided strap with brass fittings and the Louis Vuitton monogram stamped all over the bag....

Reuters wanted to trace the problem from a consumer in Washington D.C. to the shadowy producers based in Guangzhou, China, where my colleague Melanie Lee found the illicit workshops and markets.

Ericwhy, based in Guangzhou, calls its stuff “designer-inspired alternative to actual Louis Vuitton” in a disclaimer on its website.

“We assume no civil or criminal liability for the actions of those who buy our products.”

Read more: China’s booming bogus business

This part of the story is a bit concerning:

Federal agents, standing in front of a display case of counterfeit shampoo, condoms, medicine and other products seized over the years, good-naturedly accept the bag.

Read more: China’s booming bogus business

Last edited by Football16; 01-11-2010 at 12:12 PM.