Dear GeoExpat,

I'm an 18 year old student currently studying in University. Me and a couple of my mates have decided to start a small online store selling some accessories for gadgets. (We have our points of product differentiation)

We will be developing the website on Magento (which i have studied and have begun developing). However, recently i'm stuck with payment gateways, processors, merchant accounts...etc.

Since my products are inexpensive 10 USD - 50 USD Max, i don't think i will be able to setup an HSBC Merchant Account with GlobalPayments (I believe that's what HSBC provides now?) Merchant service. HSBC Hong Kong merchant service If you go on Asia GlobalPayments' Website, you will see that they offer eCommerce solutions.

I need the website to be able to accept payments ALL around the world.

I've been considering PayPal's Website Standard, however i'm a bit weary about it's Sellers Protection Policy? I've seen a lot of people suffer with PayPal's weird rules and reversals. On the other hand, they seem to be the only option i have until the business expands and grows.

I will most probably be shipping the goods via Hong Kong Post Registered Air Mail (Products are about 200-300 Grams) so shipping is about 25-35 HKD approximately. Will this entitle me to any ANY seller protection at all? What i've been reading is that it doesn't really matter if you have PayPal Seller Protection because their protection is sh*t anyways.

I don't know the chargeback rate in this industry, but considering it's rather inexpensive, it shouldn't be targeted by scammers right?

I'm sure you can tell (from my disorganized post) that i'm really confused. I'm good with the web development, securing my production and marketing of my business. It's just this payment gateway and transaction security that is bothering me.

Nonetheless, if i use a merchant account i'm going to have to pay several set up fees, annual fees and probably have to buy SSL for my website.

Can someone please advise on what i should do about this?

(Question regarding contracts and laws)
In addition:

I will be providing an option for customers to either customize their design for their product or pick from a range of pre-made designs.

The pre-made designs are made by designers all around the world. (I've been contacting various freelance designers or freelance illustrators). These Designers/Illustrators are paid on a commission basis.

How do i avoid any copyright issues this designer may file against me? Would the emails be a valid proof for the contract? Or do i have to organize the signing of a professional contract? If so, what contract would i need to sign with these commission based designers?

Any help is really really appreciated!

Thanks!