Like Tree2Likes

Local employment website

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remember that as far as Immigration is concerned "local" = permanent resident. So the best solution all round might well be to find a suitable PR expat.

Local recruitment - www.jobs.gov.hk and Job search, talent recruit & career resources | JobsDB Hong Kong

In general if you work with the labour department there are a lot of interesting candidates that you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by bagel:
    I am looking for a consulting gig and I live near Gold Coast! Have work authorization and am native English Speaker! Where can I find your job announcement? Thank you!
    It'll be on here in a day or two. I'm just debating with my business partners the exact wording. We have an extremely specific requirement so we want to ensure we are clear about that in our ad.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

No matter how clear the wording, there will be people who will apply regardless of what you want and what they have to offer. I've had some odd (stupid) replies but the oddest (stupidest) one I've heard of was sent to a friend who was doing some ads for her company - she had a resume from a bus driver in the US in response to an ad for an Office Manager in Beijing! People are stupid, people don't read, people send resumes out with a shotgun approach - click, click, click.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    No matter how clear the wording, there will be people who will apply regardless of what you want and what they have to offer. I've had some odd (stupid) replies but the oddest (stupidest) one I've heard of was sent to a friend who was doing some ads for her company - she had a resume from a bus driver in the US in response to an ad for an Office Manager in Beijing! People are stupid, people don't read, people send resumes out with a shotgun approach - click, click, click.
    while that one is definitely a great example of stupidity, i think alot of the shotgun method is caused by the number of responses. people know that 100's and 100's of people will be responding (if not more) to each posting. AND...most company recruiters will focus on first come first serve. therefore if you get your resume into a posting within the first 10-20 candidates, your chances are much better for landing the interview. any later and you are lost in the shuffle. therefore its better to submit immediately, and then read later if you land the interview to see if you still want the job.

My point is that when I reject the 10,000 "click first and read later" applicants, I want to be able to clearly highlight to Immigration (if ever asked) why I did so. Thus a clear spec is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    We need another member of staff and we are about 99% sure we need an expat ... however.... in order to ensure that we are no overlooking the local market (and in order to help the visa application of whoever we hire!) we want to put an ad out in the local market, ideally the local equivalent of monster.com.

Question 1: Is there a similar website (or websites?). It must be English - the requirement is native English speaker and I cannot write a job ad in Chinese! Any links appreciated

Question 2: If we do this, and get no suitable responses, would this satisfy immigration requirements do you think? (the firm is almost 100% visa-holders, at some point we think immigration are going to start causing trouble!!!) I'd prefer not to have to do newspaper advertising or the like.

Thoughts appreciated. I'll post it in the jobs section here too when I draft it anyway.
    ====

When you say the firm is almost 100% visa holders does this mean work investment visas or they are all now PRs of HK?

As to how to word your ad I think it is best to use inclusive albeit focused wording when it comes to proficiency in English and to add a short rationale. The ideal is to get it out to expats who are here and will not require you to go through the visa process.

You can handle this with a general ad that refers them to the full position specifications document resident on your website or suggest that you will send this to them in response to an email request. Set up a new email (not your own that you can later abandon when it gets spammed.)

These documents like position descriptions if written in neutral, inclusive terms (non-discriminatory) with clear experience and skill requirements will always be proof that you have not just manufactured the work to select a non-local.

The wording can be along the lines of:

Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written English as clients are English speaking (or say - clients are predominantly in English speaking countries).

You could add in the broader outline of the role and requirements these provisos:

Applicants who are selected for second interviews will have to provide examples of written work where feasible. If required we will sign confidentiality agreements and will return or destroy all copies of any reports or submissions if required.
    OR
    ...for second interviews will be asked to do a case analysis and presentation to the partners.

OR
    Both of the above.

Research shows the worst predictor of success for management roles is the job interview.

Research shows that the number one tool used for selection for these roles is the job interview.

What I prefer for roles like yours is seeing work and giving people a case study that is relevant - brief and the requirement to write up and do a one hour presentation using the kind of model your firm requires of its consultants.

Then check references using professional third party screeners as the past is prologue.
    Last edited by Football16; 15-04-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Extremely helpful post Football. Many thanks.