Like Tree26Likes

Hong Kong is hopeless, isn't it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hong Kong is hopeless, isn't it?

There are only service and finance sector here, everything else has been moved northwards (like light industry, container port, etc.) All development in Hong Kong has failed, like Chinese medicine port, cyberport, etc.

Do you think that I'd better find a job that can leave HK after graduating from university? I have absolutely no intention to enter the finance field and want to avoid the service field. I have interest in the engineering field or something related to industry.

dear giant likes this.

While it may very well be possible to get a job in Engineering here in HK, I think that for the most part you have already answered your own question.

dear giant likes this.

Succintly put, FT.

You could always do a startup.

Startupshk.com | Hong Kong's Premiere Start-Ups Organization

They have meetings every week (in fact there is one tonight at the BootHK - Hong Kong Startup, Maker, and Cowork Community - Home offices). They also have an annual event called Startup Saturday that is going to be in October this year where people want to try their hand at a startup meet to find co-founders and opportunities. Quite a few people who don't want to go the traditional finance route but try something else attend these events.

There's more to service industries than Finance and Banking ... but certainly less industry. Where the heck would they put all the factories for a start? Unless you want to work in a power station - still plenty of them around; or in transport (I suspect MTR Corp needs engineers) or in property (lots of work in building stuff). I think there are also still numerous niche industrial sectors though - I know a guys who is inventing renewable power gear here in a small workshop in Mongkok, for example. If you dig you'll find stuff. Or just move somewhere that does have factories.

flofloo likes this.

Aviation Industry will always need Engineers
    Shipping too.

there will always be a lot of civil and structural engineering here.

Does the HK education system teach people to think outside the Box or to use initiative?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Aviation Industry will always need Engineers
    Shipping too.
    Not to mention the auto sales and suppliers. Some of them needs more than just mechanics and require someone with more indepth knowledge of auto engineering (i.e. engines, chassis, suspension etc). Come to think of it, you can start your own auto maintenance and repair firm.

All these bridges, rail systems, malls and office towers, surely some civil/structural engineering requirement there.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast