Like Tree3Likes

Help needed - Problems with storage lease!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    That's fair enough though isn't it?

They are running a business after all and how were they to know you were going to come back?
    I hope you are just trolling.

I am pretty sure they can't just 'seize' your possessions if they believe you own them money. In civilized countries it takes a bit more than that usually.

My bad luck was that it was their lunch time, so was I supposed to wait a few hours to get what's rightfully mine just because their office people are munching on their rice box? Clowns at work.
    Last edited by 100LL; 14-02-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    I hope you are just trolling.

I am pretty sure they can't just 'seize' your possessions if they believe you own them money. In civilized countries it takes a bit more than that usually.

My bad luck was that it was their lunch time, so was I supposed to wait a few hours to get what's rightfully mine just because their office people are munching on their rice box? Clowns at work.
    Well you didnt say they were trying to 'seize' your possessions, you just said they were trying to stop you from leaving until they checked you were paid up to date, which i think is fair enough if you were taking out everything that you had in there.

If i was a landlord and you left my apartment with all of your possessions in boxes why would i think that you were coming back?
    Last edited by Trebor; 14-02-2012 at 04:07 PM.

These guys go as far as changing locks and preventing you from collecting your own goods. if you indeed signed a contract, you can only pay up or beg for mercy.

I once went with a local colleague of mine in a company van to get a couple of boxes out of a rented storage in Kwai Chung. When the guys at the warehouse realized we'd take everything, they told my colleague in Chinese that they first have to ask the office if that's OK. I ignored that, because we didn't owe them money and our plan was to bring the stuff back as soon as we were done, so we started putting the stuff on a wheel cart and move to the elevator. Then the guy tried to stand in my way and I started yelling. When I arrived down at the car park there were two more guys trying to prevent us from driving out by standing on front of our car and a lot of yelling. It was as if we would steal something. Only when I literally lifted one of the guys on the side and showed him a fist and stuff, we were able to drive away. I am not kidding. It got my adrenaline pumping, they clearly had an order from "above" that they are not supposed to let people leave with all their stuff without confirming with the head office all invoices are paid.
    I do not get why you couldn't wait for the "guys" to give a call to the company and make sure that it was OK?

I'd take a couple of strong looking guys, a bolt cutter and some cash to pay for the damaged lock when you pick up your stuff. I bet they will try not to let you leave without paying the full amount. In worst case call the police (but be ready to spend hours afterwards).
    great idea. then he will be breaking the law and get arrested. all over 5k. he signed a contract (which he then put in storage - not the brightest tool in the box me thinks) and is now trying to break that contract. if he breaks into the premises, it is theft, pure and simple.

back to your first post, why should the workers let you walk out with boxes without first knowing that you had paid for the right to do so? would it not have been much easier to have turned up with an invoice and saved everyone (including yourself) all the drama?

When I rent a storage facility with my own key and lock I expect that I can get in and out of it (with my goods) whenever I please as long as I pay the fee for it.

I don't need my own key and lock if every time I want to get access to my things I need to beg somebody first and bring invoices to show I have indeed paid the bill.

In my case, it was documents and I needed them. They said I cant take them because their office is on lunch break. Talking didn't help. Yelling did.

About breaking the law, if they would have replaced the lock and I would have had the tools, I probably would have just broken it out of principle. How could it be theft if I am only taking my own property?

If you'd find your office lock replaced without reason because your landlord says you _could_ be behind with your rent, but he first needs to check for a few hours so he can't give you access to your office, you may also patiently take the BS and wait for them to resolve the drama they have created themselves. I would just break the darn lock to get into MY office to get m work done. Where are we to let them make up the rules as they please?

Last edited by 100LL; 14-02-2012 at 04:37 PM.

When you rent storage (or an office) it usually comes with the right to move stuff in and out at will. Otherwise what use would it be? Why not hand over a cheque on an account that has no cash in it, move all your stuff out within an hour and then skip town? Although, for the amount you are owing, it might just be easier to pay and sublet.

When I rent a storage facility with my own key and lock I expect that I can get in and out of it (with my goods) whenever I please as long as I pay the fee for it.

I don't need my own key and lock if every time I want to get access to my things I need to beg somebody first and bring invoices to show I have indeed paid the bill.

In my case, it was documents and I needed them. They said I cant take them because their office is on lunch break. Talking didn't help. Yelling did.

About breaking the law, if they would have replaced the lock and I would have had the tools, I probably would have just broken it out of principle. How could it be theft if I am only taking my own property?

If you'd find your office lock replaced without reason because your landlord says you _could_ be behind with your rent, but he first needs to check for a few hours so he can't give you access to your office, you may also patiently take the BS and wait for them to resolve the drama they have created themselves. I would just break the darn lock to get into MY office to get m work done. Where are we to let them make up the rules as they please?
    point taken on your own storage drama.

for the OP though, he has no right to break locks. yes it is his property but until he has paid for the storage fee as agreed in the contract, my guess is that he has no legal right to the property. I am also presuming that the landlord is not making up the rules as she pleases, but is doing so in accordance with the contract. if this isn't the case, then call the cops. quite straightforward. why break the law when the law is on your side?
    Last edited by shenwen; 14-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Yes indeed, if he has a contract he needs to pay or try to reason with them or beg for mercy as I said in an earlier post.

I only referred to a bolt cutter (and a few strong men to make it more effective) because I believe the following might happen:

OP signed up for storage with monthly payment (I assume that because it's usually how these things work). He tried to get out, but they insist on the contract. Now if he just bites the grass and realizes he needs to pay (month by month), he still wants to move his things out ASAP. Correct me if I am wrong.

And thats exactly where I believe they won't let him, they will insist on full payment up front or change the locks. HK storage facility style.

Of course their fear of him skipping town may be for a reason, but if they just decide to defacto seize his things without repossession order, then I think its just fair for the OP to break a $100 lock which he pays for anyway (they usually sell locks at those places). They already threatened him with throwing away ("clear out the stuffs") his things today (with deadline) if he doesn't pay his full amount, despite the fact that they hold on to 3 month deposit.

Last edited by 100LL; 14-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.

I finally paid the total amount now. Best thing to do I guess.

6 months advance payment, deposit had already been transferred 2 weeks ago.

Mat likes this.