• 1 Post By Watercooler
  • 1 Post By GeoDerek
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Watercooler

Tit for Tat: hacking/spying/stealing/lying

Closed Thread

Tit for Tat: hacking/spying/stealing/lying

For three years, a group of hackers from China waged a relentless campaign of cyber harassment against Solid Oak Software Inc., Milburn’s family-owned, eight-person firm in Santa Barbara, California. The attack began less than two weeks after Milburn publicly accused China of appropriating his company’s parental filtering software, CYBERsitter, for a national Internet censoring project.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-to-brink.html
    vs

Almost directly mirroring some American stances, state-backed Chinese media outlets such as China Economy & Informatization and People's Daily are raising alarm bells over Cisco's presence in a large amount of local network infrastructure, alleging that it's a potential backdoor for espionage; CE&I goes so far as to cite purported experts insisting that the US government could take over Chinese communications in a crisis. China Unicom is acting on the threat by phasing out Cisco gear, the magazine says. Other allegations point to 72 members of Congress possibly being influenced by their Cisco shares and the ever-controversial Patriot Act aiding any nefarious plans.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/29/c...ping-us-spies/
    The largest and arguably least mature governments continue to trade media fire. Considering the implication of recent related articles perhaps any confrontation will be non-confrontational. Perhaps hard-power will be a matter of digital control? Soft-power will be a market's ability to seem indifferent to who controls what?
    dear giant likes this.

I see now, the minute the Chinese gov gets a taste of it's own medicine, they are suddenly not so cavalier about all the hacking.

Last edited by Watercooler; 30-11-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Cisco's problem is related to its battles with Huawei ( including trying to get them banned from US contracts ).

http://www.zdnet.com/cisco-issues-le...te-7000005657/

The Solid Oak issue is a bit different.

dear giant likes this.

dear giant likes this.

I always say the world would be a lot more peace ful if it was just Tit for Tit.

gunsnroses likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    I always say the world would be a lot more peace ful if it was just Tit for Tit.
    Not in China though where only an A is deemed acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Cisco's problem is related to its battles with Huawei ( including trying to get them banned from US contracts ).

http://www.zdnet.com/cisco-issues-le...te-7000005657/

The Solid Oak issue is a bit different.
    Of course, hacking vs trade protectionism. But it's curious how China seem to intentionally mix up those two. I do wonder if they fail to see the irony when they accuse Cisco of being a potential stooge to American spies, no?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 30-11-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Of course, hacking vs trade protectionism. But it's curious how China seem to intentionally mix up those two. I do wonder if they fail to see the irony when they accuse Cisco of being a potential stooge to American spies, no?
    Irony (and satire) is a foreign concept in China.
    Watercooler and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Not in China though where only an A is deemed acceptable
    that must be where 'more than a handfull is a waste' came from...;-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile