View Poll Results: How much paternity leave are you entitled to in your company?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

1 16.67%
  • Whatever is the legal minimum

1 16.67%
  • 1 week

1 16.67%
  • 2 weeks

1 16.67%
  • 3 weeks

0 0%
  • 1 month

0 0%
  • More than one month (please say how much in the thread)

0 0%
  • I have no idea

0 0%
  • I don't care

0 0%
  • I don't want to answer

0 0%
  • more than zero but less than one week

2 33.33%
Like Tree26Likes

Paternity leave

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I just took the day off on the day of birth and was back in work the next day. I assumed there was no such thing as paternity leave in hk and didn't even ask.

Luckily, my wife had plenty of family support while I was at work.

Mat likes this.

@TB: I'd say that most expats without children also do not have helpers (this isn't what I was talking about. What % of expat families with children do you know without helpers?

If I do a count, I can think of seven couples who have had a child in the last 12-18 months. One couple remains without a helper (but they will have one by next month). This sample includes couples where one partner does not work at all, or works part time. Only two of these seven couples includes any of the HK high income stereotype (highly paid banking job).

I would continue to make the argument that it must be easier to have babies in HK because 24 hour help is available so cheaply. The small percentage of parents who still choose not to use a helper are deciding the value of additional help is worth less than 133 a day (4000/30). If it was so much harder, expectant parents would be leaving HK in droves, which to my knowledge is not happening.

You use the UK as an example. I have spoken to friends living there and in Australia (who were previously based in Hong Kong) and if they could, they'd be here in a heartbeat to raise their children prior to hitting school age. Do you seriously believe that insanely expensive childcare costs and occasional home visits outweigh the benefits of HK? In this case the two corresponding points are: childcare that costs a fraction of the UK, and a cheap 10 minute cab ride to a free government clinic.

I am curious: have you yourself experienced raised infants in Hong Kong?

Mat and Skyhook like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Would it compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I am curious: have you yourself experienced raised infants in Hong Kong?

I will let him answer but I believe he has.

But he hasn't in the UK/Europe (nor did I)...so can only fantasies about it but can't reallty compare it.

All I see, is that between my firends/family members having kids here, they have it way easier than my friends/family back home. And I am talking about France, the land where gvt help is everywhere.

But this observation may be different for some others, like TB for example. I guess things can be different depending on the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I just took the day off on the day of birth and was back in work the next day. I assumed there was no such thing as paternity leave in hk and didn't even ask.

Luckily, my wife had plenty of family support while I was at work.
    There is no legal requirement right now. They are discussing bringing in 3 days @ 80% pay but it's not passed the legislature yet.

If we are going to divert off into a helper debate then I will add my knowledge.
    Of young couples with babies, I know 1 couple well, and they don't have a helper largely for the reasons TB highlighted. They did both work before the birth, now the mother works and the father stays at home with the (now 1 year old) baby.
    Of couples I know with slightly older children, all have helpers and often that includes stay-at-home mothers (something that does seem rather excessive, imho, but its so cheap they can afford it!).

I'd say ideally 5 days (full week) would be nice to have. I dont mind if not paid 100% so as to please the always annoying crowd of "why should we subsidies those who want to have kids".

Original Post Deleted
    Yep. me too.

Edit: apologies to MIN for sidetracking this in typical Geoexpat fashion
    Last edited by jgl; 04-03-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Mat, HowardCoombs, Skyhook and 1 others like this.

To be honest, I don't see the point of three days paternity leave. My wife remained in the hospital for 2 nights anyway, which had strict visiting hours. I think that's pretty normal?

So what point would there have been in me taking three days off?

Unless I am mistaken, paternity leave can usually be non-contiguous and taken after the mother is out of hospital.

It should also go without saying that it would be useful if she was giving labour during normal working hours (if you ever wanted her to speak to you again?)

Mat, rathunt, justjoe86 and 2 others like this.