View Poll Results: How much paternity leave are you entitled to in your company?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

1 16.67%
  • Whatever is the legal minimum

1 16.67%
  • 1 week

1 16.67%
  • 2 weeks

1 16.67%
  • 3 weeks

0 0%
  • 1 month

0 0%
  • More than one month (please say how much in the thread)

0 0%
  • I have no idea

0 0%
  • I don't care

0 0%
  • I don't want to answer

0 0%
  • more than zero but less than one week

2 33.33%
Like Tree26Likes

Paternity leave

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Unless I am mistaken, paternity leave can usually be non-contiguous and taken after the mother is out of hospital.

It should also go without saying that it would be useful if she was giving labour during normal working hours (if you ever wanted her to speak to you again?)
    Yeah... I took the day off and was paid but it wasn't officially in my contract so I guess I was fortunate. Probably helped that my boss was a mother haha. So is this 3 days thing basically so the dad can be at the birth?
    Last edited by justjoe86; 04-03-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Large US based law firm - 4 to 6 weeks paid paternity leave for professionals (depending on seniority and package negotiated). Depending on the market/ how busy things are, it is possible to negotiate additional unpaid leave. Would say this is pretty much market practice for large law firms (US and UK based). Much less generous for local support staff (3 -14 days paid).

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    To be honest, I don't see the point of three days paternity leave. My wife remained in the hospital for 2 nights anyway, which had strict visiting hours. I think that's pretty normal?

So what point would there have been in me taking three days off?
    You don't generally need to take it right after the birth - it can be deferred by a couple days to when the wife comes home from hospital. Not all new mothers stay in hospital 2 nights. Also, if the birth was at a private hospital, visiting hours can be much longer/ less strict.
    justjoe86 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Oh yeah, I forgot that my firm also considers similar arrangements (i.e. half days for two months) if it works with staffing at the time the request is made. It is determined on a case by case basis. Similarly, maternity leave (4 months paid for professionals) can be extended to 6 months (on a case by case basis) by going back to work half days for the last two months.

My husband learned to paraglide and got a nice tan during that month...

Original Post Deleted
    This one is highly variable with it's own set of potential issues.

I know of some situations where access to grandparents has been great, and some which were just short of catastrophic for one or both of the new parents.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    This one is highly variable with it's own set of potential issues.

I know of some situations where access to grandparents has been great, and some which were just short of catastrophic for one or both of the new parents.
    In our case grandma (mother inlaw) is extremely helpful and infuriatingly irritating at the same time. Impressive how she maintains both seemingly conflicting attributes with such ease.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 04-03-2013 at 05:51 PM.

thanks everyone who replied. This has been really helpful. Off to discuss the issue with our staff now!