View Poll Results: How much paternity leave are you entitled to in your company?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

1 16.67%
  • Whatever is the legal minimum

1 16.67%
  • 1 week

1 16.67%
  • 2 weeks

1 16.67%
  • 3 weeks

0 0%
  • 1 month

0 0%
  • More than one month (please say how much in the thread)

0 0%
  • I have no idea

0 0%
  • I don't care

0 0%
  • I don't want to answer

0 0%
  • more than zero but less than one week

2 33.33%
Like Tree26Likes

Paternity leave

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Paternity leave

How much paternity leave is common in Hong Kong?

How much SHOULD be common?

We are formulating our policy for our company, and views appreciated.

If you could indicate the type of workplace (ie small private, large MNC, government) or whatever in the thread that would be really helpful.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 04-03-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Hi Moving. We do 3 days.

MovingIn07 likes this.

We have 3 days. Large Bank.

Not special rules for expat and no reason why they should have in my view (they have other advantages that balances the lack of family support - am talking abt people on expat package not "expats" on local contracts who are in the same boat as any locals minus the family support)

MovingIn07 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks and thanks for indicating paid. I forgot to ask - I had automatically assumed (given my western background!) that this would be fully paid, but note having now read the press that the Government proposal is for only 3 days and only 80% pay!

Original Post Deleted
    Shirley, you jest.

Most expats would be on comfortable salaries out here (if they were earning median wages, they wouldn't even qualify for visas) and the popular availability of domestic helpers more than offsets lack of family support.

Not that I am against paternity leave, it's just that your argument seems a bit specious!
    Mat likes this.

I got 3, MNC from UK.

MovingIn07 likes this.

3 days looks low, but to say that expats deserve more than locals doesn't seem right. They are vastly better off when compared to the majority of the population. Just about everyone I know has had a kid in the last couple of years and and all the expats also have helpers (many of them also had parents fly out to help with the newborn).

It appears that the incredible convenience of having a helper quickly overcomes any short term qualms people have about living with a stranger. Or they go for the illegal 'live out' arrangement.

Having compared experiences of new parents between HK and other countries (Oz, the UK and the US), most expat parents have it far, far easier here regardless of how much paternity leave is granted. The main area that seems markedly worse for parents here is schooling, and that takes several years to kick in.

Last edited by jgl; 04-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Mat likes this.

My employer (large bank) gives 3 days, fully paid. My previous employer in the UK (also large bank) gave 5 days fully paid.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Hi Moving. We do 3 days.
    Fully paid, global hospitality.
    Mat and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    We have 3 days. Large Bank.

Not special rules for expat and no reason why they should have in my view (they have other advantages that balances the lack of family support - am talking abt people on expat package not "expats" on local contracts who are in the same boat as any locals minus the family support)
    Fully paid.

Re-expat thing w/o helper, what DeletedUser isn't saying and I suspect is that in those cases the Wife doesnt work. Makes a difference. If both parents work, i can't believe they do w/o helper.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast