Like Tree9Likes

WORLD'S LOCAL BANK IN SCMP

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Secret code? You watch too many spy movies, it's just a bank.

Still, the customer should be the one authenticating him/herself.
    I like spy movies!

Surely they have a way to identify themselves. It's the same bank! It's a bit like a staff of HSBC of the Shating branch calling another branch in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    And this surprises you why? Of course they're different banks! They're different legal entities. This is no different for any other global bank - or indeed company.
    I believe the whole point in opening a prime account is that you can actually do anything you want in any branch in any country in the world. Or isn't that what they advertise themselves to be when the talk about the 'world's local bank'? Anyway, I don't have an HSBC account, so what would I know?

Storm in a teacup. Invalid PIN and ATM problems? Well it got solved did'nt it? This OP is a drama queen. Journalists... True, this case she wrote here isn't the finest example of customer service. But at least the staff did tried to help her. (And try doing that with some faceless US bank, trust me, they would not give a shit.)

This really is nothing compared to the kind of "customer service" one deals with on a daily basis in Hong Kong.

Bottom line, I find it hard to imagine that HSBC would not notify this Anna if they made policy change for overseas banking. Maybe Anna isn't telling us everything. Maybe she just chucked that notification letter from HSBC down the bin without bothering to check what it actually wrote. Maybe she thought that letter was yet another advertisement for some useless credit card or financial product. Whatever the case, the onus is on her to read her bank's policies and notifications of changes. Caveat Emptor as they say...

Last edited by Watercooler; 15-04-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheepo:
    I believe the whole point in opening a prime account is that you can actually do anything you want in any branch in any country in the world. Or isn't that what they advertise themselves to be when the talk about the 'world's local bank'? Anyway, I don't have an HSBC account, so what would I know?
    Worldwide access to your accounts only works for 'Advance' and up, not the standard account(s).

Quote Originally Posted by cheepo:
    I like spy movies!

Surely they have a way to identify themselves. It's the same bank! It's a bit like a staff of HSBC of the Shating branch calling another branch in Hong Kong.
    It's not the same because they are different legal entities with different regulations due to being in different countries and there is still a risk that the person on the phone line is impersonating HSBC staff.
    I also do not think you can just walk into a branch here, call the phone banking (using the internal phone) and pass the phone to the teller to authenticate you just by his/her word. Might be interesting to try though.

However, they are getting better at this internationalisation stuff (speaking about Citibank, not HSBC), but still a long way to go. I can now view my "other country" accounts whilst online with one of them. I don't think all of the combinations work, yet, but integration is happening slowly but surely...

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    However, they are getting better at this internationalisation stuff (speaking about Citibank, not HSBC), but still a long way to go. I can now view my "other country" accounts whilst online with one of them. I don't think all of the combinations work, yet, but integration is happening slowly but surely...
    I've been able to do with with HSBC Premier for years.

I've had no difficulty going into Premier branches overseas and getting service and visa versa. I think Premier is the thing they advertise as being the "world's local bank" not ordinary services.

Storm in a tea cup as someone said above.

That the SCMP wasted so much ink printing this is a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    That the SCMP wasted so much ink printing this is a shame...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yes I agree with GF, that blogger/author sounds like a drama queen, the fact that HSBC has been telling everyone for months, through mails, posts, and ATMs (every time I tried an HSBC or Hang Seng Bank), the message was clearly told...