MPF and 60 days rule

Closed Thread

MPF and 60 days rule

Moving:
    "This is odd. We hired someone for 61 days and were told that we needed to register him because if we hired anyone for more than 60 days. So we did, and paid MPF for him for two months. (We originally signed him up for 59 days to avoid the admin hassle but life intervened!). "

So for a local or someone on dependent visa, must Moving pay him for two months?
    or can she just enroll him and pay for 1 day?

i am pretty sure its for the entire 61 days.

if you've hired them for more than 60 days the law recognizes that person as a full time permanent employee(odd since most probation periods in HK are 3 months...), and so the mpf enrollment would need to be for the full 61 days.

Quote Originally Posted by CSchulani:
    if you've hired them for more than 60 days the law recognizes that person as a full time permanent employee(odd since most probation periods in HK are 3 months...), and so the mpf enrollment would need to be for the full 61 days.
    One is not considered a permanent employee unless he completes three months under continous employment, in the absence of a written contract.

However the Mpf rules give a window of 60 days to enrol. You ( employer) still pays the MPF contribution calculated from the first day of employment..

Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot:
    Moving:
    "This is odd. We hired someone for 61 days and were told that we needed to register him because if we hired anyone for more than 60 days. So we did, and paid MPF for him for two months. (We originally signed him up for 59 days to avoid the admin hassle but life intervened!). "

So for a local or someone on dependent visa, must Moving pay him for two months?
    or can she just enroll him and pay for 1 day?
    Will have to pay MPF contributions for all 61 days..

i should clarify, i meant for the purposes of the mpf the law recognizes.....