Like Tree21Likes

Managing a difficult Direct: Need expert advice

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

no pains no gains ~as I am a HR executive, I will talk with them and understand their problems regarding their works. Of course, I try to pamper them by satisfying their needs if possible. If I observe they have still the way they are, I think I will use the final action to let them go. I think this is the best way to discipline the staff.

Original Post Deleted
    As an HR executive they perhaps hire HR staff.

I want to know what is the updated status for your relationship with your staff? I am only curious...

OP - I think the problem is as much you as it is your staff.

You call her a 'difficult Direct'. You talk in business jargon and have a worrying tendency to overuse "quotation marks". You hard ball her over things she deserves. Given that you had a previous relationship with her, I think there is a lot of control issues being played out here

You have feelings for her. Unrequited maybe. When detailing your age, you say "mid to late 20s". How odd. You get very defensive when advice is given that doesn't match the videos you have watched or the books you have read. You continually write of being a good "leader".

From your posts on here at least, I think you would be a very difficult manager to work for.

My only suggestion, as I guess I should be constructive, is to start treating this person as a human being and not a middle management case study. The best managers I ever had, and the ones I really learned from, knew how to treat people as people, and didn't try so hard to be a "leader" (your words, not mine).

Last edited by shenwen; 12-08-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    jimbo and MovingIn07 like this.