Like Tree6Likes

Opening a BBQ Stall in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Well, guys thank you very much for your valuable input. Actually, i am planning to start a "cart/ stall" style bbq business on a beach in Hong Kong. This would be much more similar to a food street stall in London or any other big cities. Your ideas and suggestions required. I am planning to offer both types of food: grilled and raw material (marinated) to my prospective customers, if any. Ideally, you as a customer, how much are you willing to pay for a set of say, a tikka portion with salad and a drink or a tikka wrap. Everything home made style. Real deals, no chemical or fishy things.

P.S. Read the link below.

http://bellaphon.blogspot.hk/2009/05/tikka-delight.html

Last edited by janan; 04-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janan:
    First,I am concerned about getting a licence from the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department of Hong Kong. Second, what are the procedure for applying for a licence?
    Application for Food Business Licence

Additionally, what could be a best location in Hong Kong?
    Open Auction of Vacant Market Stalls

Knock yourself out.
    janan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by janan:
    Actually, i am planning to start a "cart/ stall" style bbq business on a beach in Hong Kong.
    You won't be able to sell anything on any of the beaches in Hong Kong, unless its a proper fixed shop/space.

You have 3 options:

• Market stall - in one of the cooked food markets in HK
    • Street level shop/space
    • Mobile Van - which is 20K a year just for the van license, you need a cooked food license on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    • Mobile Van - which is 20K a year just for the van license, you need a cooked food license on top of that.
    Aside from IceCream trucks, I dont think I've ever seen a mobile food van....Do they still exist still or is this a historical thing....

The only mobile vans I see are essentially delivery trucks servicing construction workers. Haven't seen 'real' Food Trucks like you'd see in Washington DC or other cities in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Aside from IceCream trucks....
    There are ONLY IceCream trucks - mobile food licenses were not being given out since 1978 or so.

Forget the 'mobile' idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Softee_(Hong_Kong)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Goes without saying your friend doesn't know how to run a business.
    He was owning it, not running it. I see plenty of empty places in HK. This said, the place was still running well, but not to its full potential. So did the 2nd place. And the 3rd place... But the 4th place was too big (high rent) and killed the whole company with all its ventures.

Seems there is lots of room for somebody with good ideas. Initial investment is high though.
    Last edited by flameproof; 04-11-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    HowardCoombs and jgl like this.

Isn't there a taco truck in Quarry Bay?

Hahhahaahah I just used that magical google tool and found it.....a 'truck' parked in a shop space. Now I get it!!!

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 04-11-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Updated with an 'aha' moment!

flameproof, thanks for sharing the Mr Softee link (for people who had a problem clicking through, click here)

From Wiki:

Mister Softee is an ice cream vendor in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, Mister Softee (Chinese: 富豪雪糕), owned by the Ng Enterprises Ltd., consists of a number of ice cream trucks. The red-white-blue outlook of the trucks, and the Blue Danube played by them, are part of the collective memory of many Hong Kongers.
    The first truck, which had been imported from England, began to operate in 1970. Today the company has 14 ice cream vans running on Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories. The headquarters of the company is located in Fo Tan.
    As the Hong Kong Government has stopped the issue of new hawking licenses since 1978, and the existing licenses cannot be transferred to other vehicles, the old trucks are still running on the roads of Hong Kong. Each van, as required by the law, comprises a soft ice cream making machine, a basin, and two refrigerators.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Isn't there a taco truck in Quarry Bay?
    It's called Taco Truck but not actually a truck
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    It's called Taco Truck but not actually a truck
    There I was, Jimbo, thinking it was!!!!