Like Tree6Likes

Opening a BBQ Stall in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Opening a BBQ Stall in Hong Kong

HI everyone,

I would like to seek your advice about opening a BBQ stall in HOng KOng,like the one you can find in big metropolis such as London on Church street or elsewhere.

First,I am concerned about getting a licence from the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department of Hong Kong. Second, what are the procedure for applying for a licence?

Finally, is this a good idea to sell South Asian BBQ food items. I am very serious about opening this business. Additionally, what could be a best location in Hong Kong?

Won't be cheap!

You're going to need to rent a location with a lot of foot traffic. I.e mongkok, Causeway Bay etc.
    And you're looking at a lot of $$$$ for even 150 square feet.

You'll need a food manufacturing license too, do a google search for that.

Umm the answer would be no on all counts. Locals arent that keen on soth asian food, so you would be reliant on south Asian and the portion of expats that like to eat that stuff after a regular night out drinking.

If you want to really do this, you are going to need take it seriously enough to rent a small (legal) streetside shop.

That will require, time, money and good business sense.

At a guess a min $500k, investment, inc the first years rent, wages, kitchen / refrig equipment fit out, insurance, licences.......
    which is chump change in the HK F and B / hospitality sector.

Still wanna do it ? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by Skyhook; 04-11-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Cheaper way would be to do it as a private kitchen

There are people who do it in the NTs.

A few brave it during the day, but most come out at night with their carts.

A very nice, 'illegal', street cooking area happens at Fu Tai shopping area every night after 1030pm....not sure who you'd have to pay off!

It's interesting, traditional food for the late home workers, standing room only!

i'm not from london, whats a bbq stall?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Umm the answer would be no on all counts. Locals arent that keen on soth asian food, so you would be reliant on south Asian and the portion of expats that like to eat that stuff after a regular night out drinking.
    See, the point in any food catering is that you can't satisfy all tastes. The huge majority of people that pass by won't be your customers. But getting 1% can be good enough.

For locals !like SE foods - there is these Thai BBQ whole-in-wall place in Kowloon City were people always wait for food. So it can work I guess.

But rent and licensing can be a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    See, the point in any food catering is that you can't satisfy all tastes. The huge majority of people that pass by won't be your customers. But getting 1% can be good enough.

For locals !like SE foods - there is these Thai BBQ whole-in-wall place in Kowloon City were people always wait for food. So it can work I guess.

But rent and licensing can be a killer.
    I agree with your post in most part, but also know that thousands of F & B start ups close down in HK, each and every year. I have lost count as to how many have tried to open up something " different " in regard to cooked food shops in Sai Kung town ( just one area example ) who lasted no more than 5 months and just shut.

Rent being the BIGGEST killer of badly thought out businesses in this town, leaving no room for fools, or those without robust financial backing.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 04-11-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I agree with your post in most part, but also know that 10's of thousands of F & B start ups close down in HK, each and every year. I have lost count as to how many have tried to open up something " different " in regard to cooked food shops in Sai Kung town ( just one area example ) who lasted no more than 5 months and just shut.

Rent being the BIGGEST killer of badly thought out businesses in this town, leaving no room for fools, or those without robust financial backing.
    Rent ain't the biggest killer IMHO, need to look at it carefully though. Biggest killer is not getting enough business.

Give you an example: A friend of mine had (yep, had) a place on Elgin. Once I was there for dinner with em' and he asked the staff how much $ they got in from lunch. Answer was: $0 - Not a single customer.

But staff, rent, A/C had to be paid.... I mean, how dumb is that? You have nearby places that do set lunches for the office people for what... $60 ? and you only have ala cart. I would do set lunches and give people a $20 discount coupon for dinner.

Flameproof

Goes without saying your friend doesn't know how to run a business.

Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast