Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vmlinuz

Meet the new credit card

Closed Thread

Meet the new credit card

I think this is a really good idea, but would the shop assistant not think that you are giving her a fake credit card? Would it work in Hong Kong? (and I am not talking about the technology here)

This is madness - I've seen their hype online today, and I can't understand how anybody thinks for a second it could work.

You're expecting shops to accept a card without a name, number, expiry date, bank name, card logo, or anything recognisable on it. Something which is obviously a 'fake' copied card.

You're expecting banks and card issuers to allow these guys to ship what's essentially a card cloner, without bringing down the full force of the law on both the producers and users.

Also, Chip & PIN in much of the world...

Never gonna fly.

Firstly Chip & Pin as vml says. Doesn't seem to work for that. Second are people really going to trust an app to swipe and store all their card info? I'm far from a tinfoil hat wearer, but I think even I would draw the line here. They need to be making far more of whatever security features they have and less of the marketing crap.

Oh Cheepo you're such a tard.

Can you guys please give some explanation or details to those of us who live under a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    Can you guys please give some explanation or details to those of us who live under a rock.
    Short answer - it's a programmable card which comes with a phone app which can copy the magnetic strip from an existing credit card, so this one device can store multiple cards and switch between them at the press of a button.

As long as the original card doesn't have a chip on it, like they all do in the developed world outside the US now. And it can store your loyalty/store/membership cards, as long as they're magnetic and not using a barcode, like most of them do. And many other reasons why it won't work...
    BryanL likes this.

Chip and PIN bitches, that is all I have to say.

LOL, also saw this. Lame attempt at creating something niche however the niche is so small nothing will fit into it. all set. no pre-order for me.

You are right. I didn't think of the chip. I guess they can still make a bunch of money before people realise all the drawbacks. Quite a few people posting under the youtube video seem to have pre-ordered it.

Edit: Someone else posted on youtube that this can be used by the shop assistant to copy people's cards??? Seems they are indeed out for a lawsuit. Maybe that's why people can pre-order it. They want to make some money before they get sued by the credit card company.

Last edited by cheepo; 15-11-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Oh Cheepo you're such a tard.
    Care to explain what motivated this personal attack? If you don't have anything else to add on a thread completely unrelated to anything about you, why post anything at all?