Like Tree4Likes

Path To Investment Bank Jobs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by JoeChan1:
    and he said HK would be a good start for me since the Asia market is growing at a unexpectedly fast path.
    Would suggest not relying on the cousin of a friend for your information and getting up to speed on the market you are interested in working in. Asian markets are certainly not growing "unexpectedly fast", in fact growth in many markets is slowing and not meeting targets.

The general path from college to an IB is via internships at an IB in the summers and then through very structured recruiting programs for first year analysts at the banks - which if you have not applied for in your last year of university, am afraid that you have pretty much missed the boat for entry level positions. First year analysts typically come in a class and all start at about the same time - which streamlines training and integration. Would very quickly start looking at bank websites for recruitment deadlines and get a better understanding of how they make junior hires. For someone who wants to work at an IB, it is honestly quite suprising that you haven't done this already and don't even seem to be aware of the process.
    jimbo and Claire ex-ax like this.

I suggest doing something fulfilling with your life instead.

Give it a go.

It's not what you know it's who you know the majority of the time and with people wanting to get into the ground floor at IB'S then you're going to need to stand out.

Get hold of ex alumni etc working in Goldman etc and try and get a foot in the door that way.
    You're going to need to bypass HR and get hold of a manager that can make a decision to try and get you in.

TB

That's debatable. Certainly wasn't like that in the last US bank I worked for.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    TB

That's debatable. Certainly wasn't like that in the last US bank I worked for.
    Cultures the same regardless of which division you're in.
    Come on Mat you should know that!

Hmmm

Original Post Deleted
    No need to look at every country nor every manager - just average it out per continent and you'll still have a nice valid result and only few data points to manage

Bottom line is that GS offers you some of the very best opportunities in the field.

They may not be liked, they may not be perfect, they may not be the most friendly but there is a reason why when peeps think IB their name always come in the Top 2/3 firms...

Disclaimer: I do not work for GS (although have a couple of good friend there).

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Bottom line is that GS offers you some of the very best opportunities in the field.

They may not be liked, they may not be perfect, they may not be the most friendly but there is a reason why when peeps think IB their name always come in the Top 2/3 firms...

Disclaimer: I do not work for GS (although have a couple of good friend there).
    I agree. Goldman's reputation has been a bit tarnished over the last few years but if you want to make money and are willing to have no life outside work in order to achieve that, GS are the way to go.

A friend of a friend was a very successful trader at GS. He retired at 30 as by then he had "so much money I don't know what to do with it". He was an outstanding guy. Norwegian but went to school in France, university at Oxford, masters at Harvard (while rowing for them too). A really lovely guy. One of those people who are so good at everything that they don't actually have an ego as they don't feel threatened by others. Hated him.
    Last edited by bibbju; 13-12-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: bad typist as usual