Payment default

Closed Thread

Question Payment default

one of my friend was in HK last year and he defaulted on his payment for internet bills. He has left HK now but I am still getting letters for him from a collection agency to pay the bills.

( we were staying in the house and i am still in same house).

I am just wndering as the friend has already left HK then whats the max collection agency can do?

You're still using that internet connection right?

Nothing to you, provided the contract was only in your friends name. Just return the letters and write on the envelope "Not at this address" or "moved overseas."

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    You're still using that internet connection right?
    he left the connection thre and was submitting the bills for few months. the contract was for 18 months and he hasnt paid for last 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:
    he left the connection thre and was submitting the bills for few months. the contract was for 18 months and he hasnt paid for last 3 months.
    If he is your friend and you are still using the connection, why aren't you paying the monthly bills?

Quote Originally Posted by leghk:
    If he is your friend and you are still using the connection, why aren't you paying the monthly bills?
    i am not using it. the contract is over and they have suspended the connection also. it wss my friend's mistake.

so wondering what will the collection agency. will they chase him in his native country for payment? or just mark it as non recoverable as person is not there.

It is highly unlikely that they will pursue the debt overseas.
    As long as your friend is not intending to return to HK to live then he should have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by leghk:
    It is highly unlikely that they will pursue the debt overseas.
    As long as your friend is not intending to return to HK to live then he should have no problems.
    what abt me then. will they chase me for his bill bcoz he used to stay in my house?

If the contract was in his name only then only he has any legal liability.

No, unless you co-signed the contract.