View Poll Results: How much do you spend on yourself each month (per person)?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • <1K

1 8.33%
  • 1-2K

3 25.00%
  • 2-3K

2 16.67%
  • 3-4K

3 25.00%
  • 4-5K

1 8.33%
  • 5-6K

0 0%
  • 6-7K

1 8.33%
  • 7-8K

0 0%
  • 8-9K

0 0%
  • >9K

1 8.33%

Entertainment / personal budgeting

Entertainment / personal budgeting

what do you spend PER PERSON each month on personal things (clothing, entertainment, electronics, etc). I understand it fluctuates...but try to average it out. obviously if you bought a computer this month...it should be your only computer this year ... right? :P

this should include pretty much anything except rent, utilities, phone, dining, groceries, etc...

this is such a personal thing... it would be impossible to get an average.

i would think that some would spend the bare minimum and others would very conspicuous consumers.

you can buy a small tv for about $600 or you can buy the biggest for over $400K! (see the model in BEST in megabox....$498,000!)

same for clothing. you will find people who only shop in markets and others who only shop in "designer" boutiques

if you can give an idea of YOUR tastes, it might help put a little perspective on this question.

well...thats the thing...i am all over the place. sometimes i budget shop...and other times i splurge. as do many people i think.

but i just wanted to get a feel what others lifestyles are like in hk (similar to my rent question and food question)

My wife spends more than me (in fact she spends more, by a long way, on clothes each month than I do in a year) so I've averaged it. And I've excluded travel & holidays.

yeah...dont include travels and holidays...cause that really comes from savings as one year you might splurge ona biog trip...while other years you might stay local

Garbage poll (too vague).

Quote Originally Posted by chimo
    Garbage poll (too vague).
    lol...thanks for the vote of confidence, but it kind of needs to be vague. i think evberyone has a budget for what they spend on themselves a month...unless you dont budget at all.

so thats basically what im wondering,.....is what people set aside each month for themselves

I'm not sure everybody works like that - I don't really have categories of budget - I simply have a total disposable income target (i.e. monthly credit card bill) that I aim for and I tighten up generally for a month or two if I find myself overspending significantly. That covers pretty much all my expenditure apart from occasional taxis and very little else.

i know...some are more anal then others
    but i figured those who dont budget as i mentioned before...they might be able to estimate for the sake of the poll.

i just think its helpful for me, and for others interested in moving here, to see what kind of money people spend. Sure there will be some who spend a lot, and some who are super frugal. but for the majority of average spenders...i think its a good way to see and plan.

anyways...if it fails it fails...but lets hope enough people can put their input so we can get some nice averages.