Like Tree25Likes

Debt collectors harassing me

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Your uncle has 'disappeared', they are ransacking his belongings....do you know where the airport is? Because I'd be making a complaint to the police and getting out of the country for a couple of weeks. At least until someone tracks down your uncle and gets to the bottom of what is going on.
    Nah am not worried. Life's good in asia.

The point is, are there any ways I can make these guys stop calling my office. They have been bothering the front office.

Ask for the money lenders' registration number. If they're not forthcoming, you can report them to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by orion:
    Nah am not worried. Life's good in asia.

The point is, are there any ways I can make these guys stop calling my office. They have been bothering the front office.
    The answer is NO if the police cant/wont do anything.

As the debt is to do with a business dealing gone sour so even the details on if any money was actually taken/used is dodgy and probably nothing official.

Worst thing is that you dont even know who the money is owed to, have you found out which debt collecting company is calling you or is it just some random guy, then it will probably be a TRIAD debt collector.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

See about recording any phone conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Ask for the money lenders' registration number. If they're not forthcoming, you can report them to the police.
    Not a loan so probably no money lender involved. Seems like a business deal gone bad.

Maybe, maybe not. I think all we know is that it is a debt.

Anyway, one of my good friends here is Sith Ifrikan and whilst usually a mild mannered guy, if you set him off, he's absolutely terrifying. I wouldn't demand money from a Sith Ifrikan!

Fokken Prawns!

Given the worrying circumstances, I would double your efforts to make contact with your uncle and find out exactly what the situation is. Maybe he is avoiding phone calls but could you send him an email or even a snail mail to get in touch? Or find a way to contact him via your other relatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Of course, if you really are mad and want to screw with them a little bit you can always find somebody senior within the company and send them a letter explaining that, as this has nothing to do with you, that they should stop contacting you. If they are not willing to do that, then you are no longer willing to give them your time for free.

Explain that, from the date of the letter, that any calls you answer will be chargeable at $1,500 per call, and letters at $500 per letter and any personal visits at $25,000 per 15 minutes or part thereof (or any numbers you like). I'd go the whole hog and detail invoicing procedure, late payment charges, the works. Put in big letters that any further contact by any member of your firm from x date will be an acceptance of these conditions in full.

Then, each time they call you, before they can say anything tell them that you are charging them for the call and do they wish to continue. Refuse to let them speak unless they say yes or no. If they say no, hang the phone up. If they by some bizarre reason say yes, get their name, phone number and position then say that you are going to write the senior person you wrote to to get confirmation of their ability to make purchasing agreements on the company's behalf.

It'll confuse the hell out of them, if they still persist start sending invoices by post. Then late payment demands etc.
    And if they don't pay the fee, call them and hire them as a debt collector to collect the debt from said company.

Full cycle
    chuckster007 and Stu79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Of course, if you really are mad and want to screw with them a little bit you can always find somebody senior within the company and send them a letter explaining that, as this has nothing to do with you, that they should stop contacting you. If they are not willing to do that, then you are no longer willing to give them your time for free.

Explain that, from the date of the letter, that any calls you answer will be chargeable at $1,500 per call, and letters at $500 per letter and any personal visits at $25,000 per 15 minutes or part thereof (or any numbers you like). I'd go the whole hog and detail invoicing procedure, late payment charges, the works. Put in big letters that any further contact by any member of your firm from x date will be an acceptance of these conditions in full.

Then, each time they call you, before they can say anything tell them that you are charging them for the call and do they wish to continue. Refuse to let them speak unless they say yes or no. If they say no, hang the phone up. If they by some bizarre reason say yes, get their name, phone number and position then say that you are going to write the senior person you wrote to to get confirmation of their ability to make purchasing agreements on the company's behalf.

It'll confuse the hell out of them, if they still persist start sending invoices by post. Then late payment demands etc.
    Very interested info here, can I ask if this really works? and are you protected by law in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by orion:
    No but this morning, I received letters addressed to my relative and his wife. It's in Chinese, a colleague told me it's a threat and I'll be going to the nearest police department later today.
    Did the police take any action?