View Poll Results: Would you use a bicycle courier service in Hong Kong?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 21.74%
  • No

18 78.26%
Like Tree3Likes

Thoughts on bicycle courier in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Thoughts on bicycle courier in Hong Kong

Hello, I'm curious about peoples thoughts on bicycle messengers in Hong Kong. Unless I'm mistaken there's currently none available (unless you want food or propane refilled around mong kok..)
    I'm curious what the thought of the business community is regarding usefulness of bicycle couriers in hong kong. If they were available would you have a use for them, and why or why not? And if so, what kind of things would you use them for?

Thanks

The roads here are not really conducive to that kind of service, particularly in and around Central. I guess it's possible though. I rode all over Manhattan, but since the roads are so narrow here, the pollution is so bad and drivers honestly don't care about bikers, I wouldn't risk it here. If you were going to do it, document delivery would be the way to go.

Not worth doing to be honest and of course nowhere to park the bike as well.

More than enough courier firms in HK using the MTR as it is.

Document and small parcel delivery, is already taken care of very nicely via the MTR network, or Hong Kong Post, when required.

The bicycle messenger service idea, is definitely proposed by someone that has never driven in HK. Central HK has a hard enough time with its 18,000 taxi's, squillions of commercial vans, light trucks and the small percentage of privately owned cars, adding bicycle messengers to an already intolerant driving population, would certainly end you up in Hospital or a visit to one of Hong Kongs crematoriums .. Also factor in the stench of a skunk smelling, sweaty, bike rider, walking into your corporate office foyer, or having to share a lift on a 34 degree day @95% relative humidity, with one..?

Not bloody likely old bean.....

Last edited by Skyhook; 18-09-2008 at 10:36 AM.

hong kong's transportation system is pretty efficient, and so is the hk postal courier service. people would want to receive their letters and parcels as fast as it could be delivered.

how long would it take for you to pedal a delivery from central to taipo or to stonecutters island for example?

Thanks for the replies fo far. To clarify some points, bicycle messaging wouldnt make sense for central to new territories deliveries. Even transfers between the island and kowloon would be difficult (speeds probably couldnt be much better than how its currently done on foot, via mtr).
    What I'm wondering is if there's a niche on HK island for fast deliveries (island/kowloon could be done with some creative solutions, such as having a bike at each end, or perhaps using a mtr running, similar to current delivery companies). As an example, there may be situations where a package needs to get somewhere quickly. Clearly a car wouldnt make sense, but it's possible a bicycle can get from point to point quicker than a foot soldier, because there's no need to go underground, and bikes can go faster than foot.
    I do realize the relative dangers of bike riding in HK, but I also think perhaps they're a tad bit over hyped (other busy cities such as new york have a thriving bicycle courier community).

I used to ride in NYC traffic. HK Island is a whole other ball game dude.

Well NYC does things like NYC, and HKG does things its way...

I can assure you that bicycle couriers would be very quickly run out of business, as a public nuisence, the ones in Melbournes CBD certainly were. I'd also check out the public liability aspects of the business, if nobody will insure your staff while they are on the job medically speaking, how will you get staff ?

I'm a cyclist, and would never pay for a bike messenger service in HK because I would be putting another cyclists' life at risk. HK is far more dangerous for riding than any other city I've lived in (including NYC, which I found piss-easy to ride in compared to HK).

From an economic perspective, it would be tough. A bike messenger will be competing against very lowly-paid local couriers who use the cheap and fast public transport networks. If I need something delivered fast, I pay for a rush courier service. If I need it faster, then I arrange for someone in the office to jump into a cab.

I can see bike couriers going maybe two ways- skilled Westerners riding along London/NY lines. The problems are insurance and finding good riders willing to accept poor pay and horrendous riding conditions. Or finding local riders who would probably be cheaper but far less capable of riding competently (and as a result be far more likely to be injured).

Last edited by jgl; 21-09-2008 at 12:49 AM.

The other thing is we have excellent public transportation here. The NYC subway is extremely unreliable. HK's MTR is so efficient it's scary!

JGL: You're right, riding in NYC is far easier and safer than riding here. I've never even attempted riding in traffic in HK.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 21-09-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast