Need Advice - Starting Apparel Brand

Closed Thread

Need Advice - Starting Apparel Brand

Hi everyone,

I've used geoexpat for a lot of research from moving to Hong Kong to just living here and I have found this community to be incredibly useful. But this is my first time actually posting.

I'm looking for some expert advice on starting an apparel brand here in Hong Kong.

I have had an active wear apparel idea for a very long time and am finally going to make it a reality. Problem is I have NO experience in the fashion industry - never worked in the industry nor did I go to school for it. And I want to actually create the product, not just buy from white label and slap a logo on it.

Having figured out my audience and how I want to make my products different/better (super rough sketches and notes), what is my next step? Is it figuring out my specs? Pattern-making? Finding fabric? Creating a sample?

I would ideally like to find a local company or person that can help me with this.

Thank you in advance!

Have you thought of connecting with the local design schools - if nothing, summer is here and you could get a part time student to perhaps help you navigate through some basics?

BA (Hons) Fashion Design

https://www.polyu.edu.hk/itc/en/prog...ate_14490.html

List goes on ...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Have you thought of connecting with the local design schools - if nothing, summer is here and you could get a part time student to perhaps help you navigate through some basics?

BA (Hons) Fashion Design

https://www.polyu.edu.hk/itc/en/prog...ate_14490.html

List goes on ...

Thanks Shri, this was one method I actually didn't think about. I was directly thinking about finding a fabric source and finding someone or a company to help with the production - techkit and creating samples. I will definitely look into fashion schools/students for help with.

Not saying it is bad to go to a company, but if you're not local, you do need someone to bridge the knowledge gap with (hopefully!) your well being in mind.

They might also have a network / connections through their school / fellow students?

Your next step should be to think of a way to protect your design. Determine if there is a way to patent it. As for the brand yiu want to get a trademark. You also want to craft a non disclosure agreement before you show anyone. Anyone can rip off your product withiut these things set up.

To add to my post. The only advantage of being in HK is your proximity to manufacturing. If you market it as a local HK or China brand Asians will reject it as an inferior China brand. I suggest you claim designed in the USA similar to Apple.

Agreed! I don't know why I hadn't thought about this before. Like I said I was only thinking about those established businesses that can help with the process, but fashion school students would also know a lot of these things too.

Thanks RMDNC!

I'm actually not too worried about these as I do have experience in the more business/legal end of things. It's the actual fashion/production side I'm trying to figure out. I'm still trying to put the thoughts I have onto paper with specifications - currently have only been figuring out sewing techniques and fabrication myself.

Interesting points on the country. I never thought about that, as I'm from the US and always had the intention of building my brand for the US market. But because I'm currently here, I have the advantage of proximity to manufacturing so wanted to make this idea real.

Last edited by jasonz9238; 23-06-2016 at 07:22 PM.