Like Tree9Likes

high HKD favorable exhange to USD anytime soon?

Closed Thread

high HKD favorable exhange to USD anytime soon?

I have large sum of HKD needing to exchange into USD. But willing to wait for a long time, until the exchange rate is more favorable.
    What is the best method to make the exchange other than traditional bank?
    Do you see HKD going higher to USD? On, what condition would this be likely?
    Thank you

The HKD are in HK saving account. Plan to convert to USD before wire transfer back to California.

Are you suggesting using InteractiveBroker HK?
    I see HKD hits 7.75 in 2015. The down side is early 2016 @ 7.82 which is just a spike random thing, right?

All you need is HK ID (saying you are HK resident) to open IB account in HK, right?

I am looking at XE.com chart, what cause the 7.8 spike? what cause to hit 7.75 floor?
    Say, China real estates bubble burst? Or, bubble air leaks?

If you don't mind keeping your USD in cash Berlin exchange sells USD today for 7.7510 which is even better than today's fx rate.

we are talking about HKD50m range.
    It will be one way exchange into USD, hopefully within next 5 to 8 years. Not expect to go back to HKD.

We are looking at a place in Monterey, California.

Summer daily high around 65F (18C), low 52F (11C), average 4" of rain, humidity 40%. No snow year around, no Hurricane / typhoon, not sure with earthquake. Less crowded. Fantastic Pacific ocean scenery. No job thou'

Do not know how best to transfer money to California and repatriate money back to HK many years later.

Last edited by young707; 08-10-2016 at 07:25 AM.