Like Tree95Likes

Hong Kong can be another Silicon Valley CE says

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Do people always have to take things literally? With Silicon Valley, they mean a high tech hub. It doesn't mean that it'll be another Silicon Valley. Ottawa and Waterloo in Canada are often referred to as Silicon Valleys. It doesn't mean they're carbon copies of the former or that they compete in size.

Oh, look, Edinburgh referred to as Silicon Valley.

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle...y-to-edinburgh

I don't think they referred to Edinburgh as Silicon Valley. Not RTFA .. but the summary says "Royal Bank of Scotland is inviting tech entrepreneurs from across the world to its Edinburgh HQ to discuss the latest trends in technology and mingle with local fintech entrepreneurs, customers and bank staff at an event dubbed Disrupt 17."

They invited tech leaders/innovators for a conference.

Yes, I'm just nitpicking...

JAherbert and civil_servant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    I don't think they referred to Edinburgh as Silicon Valley.
    Silicon Glen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Glen

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    I don't think they referred to Edinburgh as Silicon Valley. Not RTFA .. but the summary says "Royal Bank of Scotland is inviting tech entrepreneurs from across the world to its Edinburgh HQ to discuss the latest trends in technology and mingle with local fintech entrepreneurs, customers and bank staff at an event dubbed Disrupt 17."

They invited tech leaders/innovators for a conference.

Yes, I'm just nitpicking...
    Oh, ignore that link. I didn't even read it, lol. Anyhow, just look at the naming of other tech hubs. Silicon Glen, Silicon Fen, etc.

Hong Kong can be Silicon Bay.

My simplistic summary:- CCP needs to incessantly throw overlapping ideas/schemes to keep up positive sentiment and save economy from hard-lending, throw grandeur visions to make people feel future is very very bright, country is so so great and CCP is new super-power of milky-way.. Once the economy is somewhat under control (so-called soft-lending achieved) or access spending to save the economy seems out of control, CCP would take U-turn and all of a sudden Greater-bay-area/silk-road/belt-and-road/maritime-silk-road/blah-blah noise will disappear, poor participants of this grand vision will bear the burnt of it.. As for Wind-up toys in Liaison office and HKSAR Govt, they will anyway stop jumping up and down if no one turns the key from Beijing..

JAherbert and TheBrit like this.

Silicon Glen
    The only Glens I know are alcoholic.
    nivantj and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Hong Kong can be Silicon Bay.
    How about SillyCyberPortBay? Sounds more futuristic and universal..
    muzzdang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    How about SillyCyberPortBay? Sounds more futuristic and universal..
    Drop the SillyBay. It's cleaner.

We could even invite the great tech innovators like Microsoft to come participate!
    muzzdang and kimwy66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    How about SillyCyberPortBayHubZoneLoop? Sounds more futuristic and universal..
    It is not clear what Ms Lam thinks should happen. Should HK become a the VC centre of China - But Beijing want that to be Beijing or the capital raising centre but the CCP directed Tech Stocks to list in Shanghai not HK. All very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Beijing want that to be Beijing or the capital raising centre but the CCP directed Tech Stocks to list in Shanghai not HK. All very confusing.
    but Tencent e-books IPO launching in HK

Tencents China Literature, mainlands biggest online publisher, launches IPO worth up to US$1.1 billion | South China Morning Post
    Last edited by JAherbert; 24-10-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: change the link to scmp
    East_coast likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast