Like Tree95Likes

Hong Kong can be another Silicon Valley CE says

Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    It is not clear what Ms Lam thinks should happen. Should HK become a the VC centre of China - But Beijing want that to be Beijing or the capital raising centre but the CCP directed Tech Stocks to list in Shanghai not HK. All very confusing.
    You should get used to the idea that Hong Kong won't be anything centre in the future and that China has more than 3 cities. Nonetheless, they can build up a tech hub in order to provide good jobs for their residents.
    parilla likes this.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wrong side of the door to hell
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Nonetheless, they can build up a tech hub in order to provide good jobs for their residents.
    You appear to be suffering from a "If we build it, they will come" mentality. Yes, of course Hong Kong could build a tech hub, but to build a successful tech hub is the key and the success factor is not possible without serious change in the education and social environments.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66
    You appear to be suffering from a "If we build it, they will come" mentality.
    Yes, that's the past and current official Government line. Of course he is going to parrot it. He still thinks Cyberport is great, FFS.
    Last edited by TheBrit; 24-10-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: fix quote

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    936

    to be able to compete they will first need to have enough talents in computer science. And also to make sure they get paid decent amount of money, when you see how much people in finance make compare to software developer in other industries it's a joke.


  5. #25
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,601
    mouahhhhhaahahahahhahahahahhahhaha

    mouahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

    mouahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahha

    sorry that was just tooo mouahahahahahahah
    pin and Fenix2 like this.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66
    You appear to be suffering from a "If we build it, they will come" mentality. Yes, of course Hong Kong could build a tech hub, but to build a successful tech hub is the key and the success factor is not possible without serious change in the education and social environments.
    Blah blah blah..., heard it all before. Asians can't innovate, can't make decisions, lack Western style education, etc. I've lived in Asia for too long to believe in such nonsense.

    How is Brexit proceeding in your superior educational and social environment?

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutark
    to be able to compete they will first need to have enough talents in computer science. And also to make sure they get paid decent amount of money, when you see how much people in finance make compare to software developer in other industries it's a joke.
    That just reflects the state of industry in HK. The best people gravitate to where the money is. In Hong Kong, that is finance. In the US, Google and Silicon Valley can out-compete Wall St on compensation for the best developers. I know one guy from our antenatal class that worked at GS who treated him pretty well - he worked in HK, London and then NY for GS.. 12 months ago he relocated after Facebook poached him.

    With the best will in the work, nobody is going to leave GS here for PCCW, China Shipping Lines or Gogovan.
    Plutark and Soutie like this.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,658
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    That just reflects the state of industry in HK. The best people gravitate to where the money is. In Hong Kong, that is finance. In the US, Google and Silicon Valley can out-compete Wall St on compensation for the best developers. I know one guy from our antenatal class that worked at GS who treated him pretty well - he worked in HK, London and then NY for GS.. 12 months ago he relocated after Facebook poached him.

    With the best will in the work, nobody is going to leave GS here for PCCW, China Shipping Lines or Gogovan.
    Yep, I know people who've left places like CS or hedge funds for Silicon Valley jobs. Comparable pay, but more importantly better career prospects.

    The HK idea of a tech industry seems to be geared towards financial services support or shifting boxes. Or it's having local offices of global tech companies that just do a bit of sales and marketing.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    936

    Ultimately it will have to change when corporation realize they need to implement efficient Data Analytics. Problem is HK is really slow (corporation wise) to adopt new technologies. A lot of conglomerate rely on really old legacy systems.

    It's going to be interesting to see how it develops. I know some companies here just can't find the talents they need like in UX, if you work in that area you get offers left and right.


  10. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutark
    Ultimately it will have to change when corporation realize they need to implement efficient Data Analytics. Problem is HK is really slow (corporation wise) to adopt new technologies. A lot of conglomerate rely on really old legacy systems.

    It's going to be interesting to see how it develops. I know some companies here just can't find the talents they need like in UX, if you work in that area you get offers left and right.
    The HK Government seems one of the worst offenders. If they have a a digital strategy, it is all over the place. Half the stuff requiring you to visit their offices should be able to be done online. Even the UK seems way ahead in this regard, and they are famous for disastrous Government sponsored IT projects.
    JAherbert likes this.

Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast