Like Tree95Likes

Hong Kong can be another Silicon Valley CE says

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Politican in speaking vacuous rubbish nonsense. Let's be fair, this is an issue the world over - even if HK CEO's seem to be "better" at it than most.

East_coast, JAherbert and stanzd like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert
    agree 100%, a good example hongkongpost rolling out e-cert
    hongkongpost can't buy estamps

hongkongpost EC Ship is great, but even if you prepay you need to line up at the counter to hand it in (and if you are lucky the amazon seller in fron of you has less than 100 items)

hongkongpost EC Ship refunds are a complex issue, rather than simply give a credit towards the next time you pay online.

And why this won't work is very simple, Silicon Valley is/was technology driven, not bureaucrat driven. A good bureaucrat driven example are the food trucks.
    TheBrit, shri, JAherbert and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Fixed that for you.

She's setting up a vision for the city. It's similar to a top executive visiting your office and given a talk. They rarely get into details. If you want a detailed blueprint, you'll have to wait.

Beijing losing no time to get input on blueprint for Greater Bay Area | South China Morning Post
    Yes but her / your / the parties line it is far from compelling or cohesive.

If a C level came to my office and just babbled buzzwords and talked of an improbably concept they would be harshly questioned in public and ridiculed in private.

If I had missed the opportunities then a better argument would be helpful. But To strengthen the argument you have just repeated it or talked about race, Brexit or other cities etc. Not clarity on the role HK would provide.

This approach of repetition vagueness and distractionary comments just re-enforces the improbability of the whole concept for me personally.

PS Isn't Cyber Port now officially a bad example that shouldn't be cited as being great example?

I didn't read it as providing jobs for HongKers but rather mainland talent. I don't think HongKers are up to the task. Sorry if this sounds offensive. I would like to see HK as a true world city to include anyone qualified to come here but that would invite greater laughter.

While administration forms task-force to prepare blue-print, lets propose open space for CyberPortValley.. Oh wait! but its not part of greater bay area so leave it..

Support your local patch of barren concrete | Big Lychee, Various Sectors

TheBrit and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Politican in speaking vacuous rubbish nonsense. Let's be fair, this is an issue the world over - even if HK CEO's seem to be "better" at it than most.
    it's just another bandwagon, a few years ago it was PRD, then Pan-PRD, next we get the Greater Bay area

I am pretty certain that the folks in govt. do not understand, look at e-cert debacle, cyberport, giving "innovation awards" to "me too" companies copying ideas from overseas (such as gogovan and that defunct magnetic power connector company). Officials seem to think hong kong needs to be the hub for everything, just add hub: medical, IT, trade, finance, fintech, innovation, etc. etc. lots of pointless politician speak. They are planning to provide e-HKID, afterwards, I bet most govt. depts will still need you to fill a form with HKID number and signature.
    TheBrit likes this.

The fatcrats should call it The (Great) Silicon Con.

It has that comforting alliterative thing going for it and it can be pronounced as "Xi lick-on con", reflecting deep... Xi Thought.

Mat

Hong Kong like the Bay Area? Really go ahead....Approve Gay Marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert
    I bet most govt. depts will still need you to fill a form with HKID number and signature.
    and they'll make you FAX it !

This is the difference between the HK government with no real power to do anything. And the China Central Government with absolute power.

If the Chinese premier came out and said they were going to make a sleepy backwater into the tech hub of China, there will be hundreds of local and overseas tech companies queuing to invest millions to hopefully get party favour and a huge step into the Chinese market. The infrastructure would be built in 1 year, and it would be up and running in 2 years.

The HK government has less to offer, little background of actually implementing ideas successfully and following through on their promises.

East_coast and shri like this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast