Like Tree95Likes

Hong Kong can be another Silicon Valley CE says

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Wink

More like Silly Clone Valley
    TheBrit, jgl, Fallstres and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    More like Silly Clone Valley
    Not gonna lie, this cracked me up. Now my 'More like Silly CON Valley, am i rite' seems trite in comparison ;P
    parilla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallstres
    Not gonna lie, this cracked me up. Now my 'More like Silly CON Valley, am i rite' seems trite in comparison ;P
    glad someone got it!

Quote Originally Posted by parilla
    The local HK culture and what is required for a Silicon Valley style culture are at opposite ends of the creativity spectrum.

Its good the CE is setting some inspiration for HK locals, but its likely to take generations for mass scale creativity and innovation to occur here. I feel the HK education system is to blame as it appears to beat the imagination out of children, and just pressure cook them into achieving high test scores without valuing adapting learnings to the real world.
    Can you elaborate on how exactly HK culture is at odds with innovation other than the schooling system? S. Korea also has similar education system and they don't seem to have the same issues that HK has.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19
    Can you elaborate on how exactly HK culture is at odds with innovation other than the schooling system? S. Korea also has similar education system and they don't seem to have the same issues that HK has.
    I wish I could elaborate more but the truth is I really dont know or understand why. Schooling seems a part of it just from observations with other peers.

I guess it goes back to Needhams Great Question, which he last hypothesised to be a culture of homeostasis.

Also to note at work I too have observed Mainland Chinese appear more open minded than their HK Chinese counterparts. Possibly the culture has shifted faster in Mainland China.
    Skyhook likes this.

Hong Kongs bitcoin businesses suffer after local bank accounts frozen | South China Morning Post

Ya HK can.be great for fintechs trying to secure bank accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds
    I still love the youre not using a supported browser warning I get when using my Mac to log into Inland Revenue to do my tax. At least 50% of the public must be using Macs by now if not more.

A few days after the clampdown in China. High degree of autonomy?
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by parilla
    I still love the youre not using a supported browser warning I get when using my Mac to log into Inland Revenue to do my tax. At least 50% of the public must be using Macs by now if not more.
    Ha ha ha ha ha.

This does a good job encapsulating so much what makes Hong Kong (and the PRC) great: mountains of coal being burned to run huge server farms "mining" virtual bubble currency in the hope of quick riches while creating nothing but waste (CO2 and soon obsolete specialized server racks) and then banks doing what they do best: freezing accounts without a warning.

Fintech indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    A few days after the clampdown in China. High degree of autonomy?
    There we go. Perfect.
    parilla and TheBrit like this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast