Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By Edwardstorm

Giving money to US spouse

Closed Thread

Giving money to US spouse

I'm a HK citizen and my wife is a US citizen. Does anyone know if I give money to my wife for her to pay off her mortgage, would it be taxable for her?

I think it may depend on how you file taxes.

As you don’t live in the USA and assuming you have neither a green card nor resident alien status, you will be classified as a nonresident alien (NRA)

Your wife can then file taxes two ways so don’t know what she did.
    1. Choose to treat you as resident alien for tax purposes or
    2. Choose to treat you as nonresident alien for tax purpose

So not sure how your wife file taxes in the USA but there may be a different outcome to your question depending on filiing status. I would double check with US tax advisor.

shri likes this.

I'm not a US citizen and currently live in HK. She files her taxes separately.

As the US has a worldwide taxation system it unfortunately doesn’t matter where you live and whether you are a US citizen or not ... as you are married to a US citizen she needs to make one of the two choices I mentioned in my post for her tax filing whereby option 1 means you need to pay US tax as well (regardless of where you live). So if you don’t pay US taxes then I assume she is filing under option 2 or perhaps even files as single and not married? Again, would check with US tax advisor

i always do married but file separately option. just to keep it simple. i don't make enough to be taxed by US anyway.