Like Tree15Likes

Expense Tracking app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gini are still in trial phase, they have just launched their beta Apple app and are still testing on Android.

Great idea, but how much time does it take?
    Do you have to enter $8 snack etc every time you use it?

And connecting to my bank account would worry me as I have no idea who these people are.

Do people find them effective way of saving money by knowing where the money are are going?

Quote Originally Posted by shsteve

And connecting to my bank account would worry me as I have no idea who these people are.

Do people find them effective way of saving money by knowing where the money are are going?
    I firmly believe it should be done mentally, this way it increases spending discipline.
    nivantj likes this.

Just to use the YNAB software that I use for an example. It's purpose is to create a budget and helps to keep track of money flows. Which of course you can do by hand or use a spread sheet programs as well. But budgeting software exist to give you a template to work with and automate the process and make it less a chore. But you still need the discipline to control your own spending. The software can motivate you to do that though with some nice graph showing you your growing asset.

Technically you need to enter everything to the system, otherwise you won't get the right report back on the cash flow, but you can simplify the process by creating a spending money account, say $500 a month, which you get in cash from ATM, since you already pre-expensed it on your budgeting software so you don't need to log down each transaction like the $8 snack.

And I generally input the expenses manually, since a lot of the "get data directly from bank" function don't work outside US anyway.
    shsteve likes this.

Information is power. It helps you decide if you're deriving happiness from where your money is going and be more conscious about your spending choices.

Linking accounts to data aggregators is common in the US with Mint (owned by Intuit) and Personal Capital. It seems like HK is slowly catching up.

It seems like HK is slowly catching up.
    Just because someone is releasing an app, does not mean there is any proper consumer protection or disclosure in place.

I'd like to see what penalties are in place if that data gets leaked / hacked / abused.

No contact information for more champ, the company that has developed gini for example.

whois info on their domain:

Code:
    Registrant Organization: MORE CHAMP LIMITED
    Registrant Street: OBFUSCATED WHOIS GANDI-63-65 BOULEVARD MASSENA
    Registrant Street: -
    Registrant Street:
    Registrant City: OBFUSCATED WHOIS GANDI-PARIS
    Registrant State/Province: PARIS
    Registrant Postal Code: 75013
    Registrant Country: FR
    And no phone or physical address on their website. While they may be super duper nice guys / gals, I tend to have problems with people who would have my data.

(And no, I don't use any of those expense trackers - have played with them, liked them, but I'd be damned if they get my data, let alone my bank information in any form.)
    cendrillon and z754103 like this.

For those who wants to connect to bank account and log down transaction, I know "MoneyLover" now have such option available. But you need to pay a yearly premium for the service.

Quote Originally Posted by mozartet
    For those who wants to connect to bank account and log down transaction, I know "MoneyLover" now have such option available. But you need to pay a yearly premium for the service.
    Code:
    Address: 11/1 Nguyen Van Huyen, Cau Giay, Hanoi, Vietnam

2018 Money Lover. All rights reserved.
    Yeah sure... there is a reason why most of vietnam is banned on GeoExpat.

By the way, @mozartet - their about us link goes to an domain called finsify - which has an invalid SSL certificate.
    z754103 likes this.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Just because someone is releasing an app, does not mean there is any proper consumer protection or disclosure in place. I'd like to see what penalties are in place if that data gets leaked / hacked / abused. No contact information for more champ, the company that has developed gini for example.whois info on their domain:
    Code:
    Registrant Organization: MORE CHAMP LIMITEDRegistrant Street: OBFUSCATED WHOIS GANDI-63-65 BOULEVARD MASSENARegistrant Street: -Registrant Street:Registrant City: OBFUSCATED WHOIS GANDI-PARISRegistrant State/Province: PARISRegistrant Postal Code: 75013Registrant Country: FR
    And no phone or physical address on their website. While they may be super duper nice guys / gals, I tend to have problems with people who would have my data. (And no, I don't use any of those expense trackers - have played with them, liked them, but I'd be damned if they get my data, let alone my bank information in any form.)
    75013 -. Chinatown in Paris.
    z754103 likes this.

@Mat that's the address of the registrar and not the address of the website owner. But good to know..

I tend to put the address into Google and see if I can figure out if it is a shared office or some dodgy streets hop etc.

Mat likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast