Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Beanieskis

Make a will in Hong Kong specifically for MPF and bank account?

Question Make a will in Hong Kong specifically for MPF and bank account?

I am a Singaporean citizen and a Hong Kong permanent resident working in Hong Kong. I am in the process of drawing up my will, to be signed in Singapore. I am single, with no immediate family in Hong Kong, and my executor will be based in Singapore.

My assets in Hong Kong would be my MPF, should I die or not leave Hong Kong before I'm 65, and the monies/shares in my sole bank account.

I was told by my MPF trustee that a letter of probate granted by the Hong Kong courts would be required for an MPF claim on death. The claim can be made via post.

For release of money, my bank would require application of a certificate of balance at a bank branch (upon provision of death certificate, proof of relationship and applicant identification), followed by furnishing of letter of probate from relevant government departments at a bank branch.

Is it advisable that I do up a will in Hong Kong specifically for my MPF and bank account monies?

Whether or not I make a will in Hong Kong, would a Hong Kong lawyer appointed by my executor be able to handle the grant of probate and bank closure procedure, without my executor flying over to Hong Kong several times?

Might want to read this thread to get an idea of how the process works.

Generally advised to have a will which covers the specific jurisdiction where your assets are.

Also, assets are not specifically listed in the will, but presented seperately (and can be kept updated to avoid the will being updated..)

https://geoexpat.com/forum/40/thread344602.html

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Other thread v useful; assets in HK? Pension assets in HK? If they’re here my understanding is that if you die intestate (ie no HK will) the HK Government gets a cut of the spoils! Think there’s a limit: family get such as $500k - above that it’s theirs! One for the lawyers to opine definitely!

@jdf21st - you should really look at the CLIC probate section. This one covers death with or without a will. No clue where you got the $500K number!!?

CLIC - Probate: Preliminary issues to be considered (with or without a Will) - What are the differences between an estate with a Will and an estate without a Will (in relation to the Grant of Representation)?

jdf21st likes this.

Never mind .. found the $500K number .. should research / wait for someone else to chime in.

http://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/pro...rties/q3.shtml

Last edited by shri; 22-06-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    jdf21st likes this.

I see a 500k reference, but nothing that says anything above it goes to the government! What it says is that if you die without a will and you have children, only the first 500k plus 50% of the balance goes to your spouse, the rest goes to your children. Rules like this are quite common in other countries too.

shri likes this.

Does anyone know what's the going rate for having a simple will done up at a solicitors' firm?

Also, does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for having a medical practitioner and a lawyer execute the enduring power of attorney using the prescribed form?

CLIC - Enduring Powers of Attorney - Guide to prescribed forms of the Enduring Power of Attorney and downloading the forms