Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 8 Post By Tcresident011
  • 4 Post By achanster

Lawyer asking for proof of address

Lawyer asking for proof of address

Hi
    I'm a new client with a lawyer (requested advice, paid a final bill for some advice provided over whatsapp) - he is requesting my proof of address and ID copy and to sign a cost agreement.
    Due to identity theft concerns, I don't prefer to give out my personal documents.
    Are these documents really necessary for a new client? I don't really want to establish a client relationship or sign any agreements or provide personal documents, happy to just pay the bill and close the matter but he says that he is obliged to open a client file.

I really want to close off any dealings with this lawyer and avoid any future bills as the cost for the whatsapp advice was exorbitant.

Comments / tips appreciated.

Never had a lawyer ask for any of that, even for small matters like making certified copies. Just refuse to give it to him, what is he gonna do, sue you? Sounds like you already received your service.

shri and Tyresmoke like this.

Just pay what you owe him and move on.

The AML Ordinance passed last year now applies to Lawyers as well who are now required to follow customer due diligence requirements. In essence they are doing what they are expected to.

https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/2.../23/supp3/1!en

They have a duty to comply with AML law so I think we should cooperate. I do not think lawyers should be your biggest worry about identity theft. I would be more concerned about phone companies, beauty clinics, or doctors clinics, employment agencies, interviewers, gyms, etc. who always ask for your HKID copy!!

shri, TheBrit, jdf21st and 1 others like this.

Legal advice via WA? Exorbitant? How much would they charge if they put it in a proper document that you could show anyone (to settle a dispute)?
    Yes, give him the dox. Required. ‘Nuff said.

I've had this with a HK lawyer. Apparently it's a requirement these days.