Like Tree11Likes

Law firm for HK will and guardianship

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Usually a minor change is just a codicil...both my parents have/had these in their wills.

Sure, in the days of computers, printing out a whole new will is no big deal, codicils are a holdover from the ancient times of handwritten and later, typed, wills.

But crazy to have to spend the whole amount again for updating...which reminds me to update my will, my mother is still my executrix even though my "kid" is now 30...

Thanks. When we made the first wills, we didn't incorporate conditions for my son being under and over 18. Stupid of us, I guess.

Which local firm can help? Any recommendations?

What is this Law Society search? How does that work?

@abcdef - Might want to read CLIC's basic faqs to make sure you're better informed this time around.

Probate search:

CLIC - Probate: Searching for a Will and gaining access to the deceased's safe deposit box in a bank

Original Post Deleted
    While this is undoubtably true, if the testator's mental capacity get's called into question then having a codicil declared null and void may be less damaging than having the entire will negated.

We're also guilty of not updating out wills - which we should have done 6 years ago when I cancelled our life insurance policies.

Any recommendations for a local lawyer who can get two wills done at a low cost, given that we already have two base wills to work from?

No recommendation here but be aware that a lawyer can only write a will in their own jurisdiction so in case you have assets overseas it would be better to use a dedicated Will writer firm. Also the case if your Will is complicated.

Given the situation below, and with a view to reducing the costs, I think I would just like to write own wills for myself and my wife (with witnesses, etc) and store them with friends. My concern is that the previous wills were written with a law firm which has a copy. Is there any downside to my plan? In case there is a Law Society search, the old wills will surface with the old date, but the new homemade wills will have a more recent date. Is that not sufficient to ensure that the new wills will be effective?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdef:
    My wife and I wrote HK wills a few years ago (paid about 6-8k to a lawyer). We need to amend them because our son has reached the age of majority and we have sold some property. The lawyer says the only way is to write new wills, which would cost another 6-8k, I guess.

Instead, I am considering using the old will language, amending it, and writing new wills with two witnesses. I think I can use the old legalese to form the basis of the new wills. What is the downside to this approach?

If I make homemade wills and leave them with friends, but a Law Society search turns up the old wills, it should still be no problem, right? Because the homemade wills will have a more recent date?

Hi, my law firm provides will drafting services at reasonable prices.
    Happy to give you a price quote.
    Homemade Wills are always riskier and more prone to requisitions from the probate registry when applying for probate.
    Best advised not to skimp on a couple thousand dollars.
    I've sent you a PM!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast