Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Law firm for HK will and guardianship

Law firm for HK will and guardianship

Any recommendations for a law firm or will writing firm to make an HK valid will?

I've had a few companies suggested that seem to be focused on expats and charging accordingly. But I'm sure there are local firms with English speaking lawyers who can do the same work for more reasonable prices.

Check this thread and in particular the recommendation by @ren32

https://geoexpat.com/forum/40/thread350706.html

merchantms likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Also another one by jrkob on this thread:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread350094.html

merchantms likes this.

Thank you! "Will" is not an easy word to search for

Elegiaque likes this.

Adding solicitor to the search adds a lot of relevancy. I remembered those two recommendations, as they're from trusted users / on my shortlist.

https://geoexpat.com/search?q=will+solicitor

The usual advice is you need a will in every place either partner has assets. That's why many expats tend to gravitate towards places with international offices.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The usual advice is you need a will in every place either partner has assets. That's why many expats tend to gravitate towards places with international offices.
    The places I've been recommended are HK-based will writers (staff have white faces) but they aren't lawyers with international offices.

I'd actually prefer wills written separately by lawyers in each country we have assets and ensure that they don't contradict each other.

Contact Asa at Phoenix Wills. Lovely lady and reasonably priced, most of my friends and acquaintances go to her.

Phoenix Wills - Wills, Guardianship and Estate Planning

simonparfitt likes this.

That might not be a sensible idea, if you have your Wills set up individually per country you have to make sure each one references the others, or the later dated one will automatically revoke any earlier dated one. As per Mrs Jones, I would also recommend Phoenix.

Regardless of the person who writes your will and the multi jurisdictional nature of your assets, I do think it is essential to read the FAQs on the Judiciary site, related to probate in Hong Kong. Much like life insurance, you need to consider the beneficiary and their abilities to get access to your estate.

For me personally, I'd go with a solicitor. If I had assets in multiple countries I'd put that into a "mo money mo problems" situation and pay for advice from a firm which has the ability to service your beneficiary in multiple countries.

In particular in HK these are the reasons why I'd go with a lawyer or firm with a long standing relationship in mind.

11.3 Why does the staff at the Probate Registry have to ask questions and request for documents?

The Probate Jurisdiction is inquisitioral. The Grant is an important legal document which usually authorises the grantee to deal with the estate without limitation. Hence, the Registrar is under a duty to make inquiries and see that they are answered satisfactorily.
    8.5 Can I apply through an agent?

Rule 4(2) of the Non-Contentious Probate Rules (Cap.10A) aims at preventing persons, who are not qualified solicitors, from providing legal services. The rule prohibits application through an agent, whether paid or unpaid. Further, the personal applicant may not be attended by any person acting or appearing to act as his adviser.
    These two lead me to believe that a solicitor will have to be retained for any non-trivial matters - death is a non-trivial matter as is making sure that the beneficiary has to deal with as little fuckery as possible from the legal establishment.

And the fact that the Law Society can search for a will, which might be lost or unrecoverable for whatever reason.

https://www.judiciary.hk/en/court_se...s/probate.html

Not saying a will writer is or is not an option - legal advice should always be sought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast