Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

What are you doing to protect yourself from US/China trade war?

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Trade war - not worried. Seriously not worried. It will sort itself out in an election cycle or two.

More than the trade war, I'm more concerned about dogs being wagged during this election cycle. Does Trump need a trade war or a real war to get reelected?

I suspect Trump needs to get reelected and has no option to step down, to complete the transformation of the Supreme Court and other institutions to align with the Christian right. He is just another dog being wagged.

The step back into the dark ages when it comes to human rights in the US, is more concerning than 25% duty on iPhone and cow semen. iPhones and cow semen can be replaced in a couple of reporting cycles. Real wars and legal infrastructure the way it is in the US is generational...
    I agree with you and I think the risk of a war involving the US is increasing. I don't think Trump is the only worry in the White House.

Are you liquidating equities and going to cash?
    No way on this. Honestly. But its good to have some cash handy to trade in a up/down cycle.

Done some of that over the last few weeks after taking some profit from Dec purchases.

UPRO / TQQQ if you are positive about the near mid term and SPXU / SQQQ if you're negative about near / mid term - but these are heavy duty mind & wallet fucking ETFs. (There are milder versions of these ETFs which do not come with Xanax prescriptions...)
    huja likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Take advantage of the stock downturn and make a tax-deductible voluntary MPF contribution.

Nothing. I've been around long enough to know that people lose more money and opportunities anticipating the next crash/crisis/whatever than they do during when one finally rolls around. Recent examples include a number of people who sold their HK properties during the GFC expecting to buy back when the property market crashed.

That said, I've pulled a little money out of New Zealand now that the far left is busy damaging the economy and am debating whether to divert some spare cash into additional mortgage repayments or new investments.

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Take advantage of the stock downturn and make a tax-deductible voluntary MPF contribution.
    I really wonder if the tax deduction is worth it as the mpf fees are so terrible and you are stuck with those fees forever

eg buy tracker for .2 fee vs .7 in mpf
    shri and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    That said, I've pulled a little money out of New Zealand now that the far left is busy damaging the economy
    Did I miss the communist takeover?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    What is this tax thing you talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    I really wonder if the tax deduction is worth it as the mpf fees are so terrible and you are stuck with those fees forever

And yes, the 2800 tracker does seem to be the best way to hedge against a Sino/US trade war.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Did I miss the communist takeover?
    Yep - higher taxes, more debt, more regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow

Depends on how long you keep it in there. It's not forever

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast