Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

What are you doing to protect yourself from US/China trade war?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,277

    What are you doing to protect yourself from US/China trade war?

    Are you liquidating equities and going to cash?

    Are you buying country/region ETFs that might benefit from a manufacturing move out of China?

    Buying gold?

    Converting your money to Swiss Francs?

    Buying certain things before they get more expensive?

    Tightening your belt and buying less?

    Moving from x to y?

    Buying land, seeds and guns?

    Nothing because this rocky period will pass and panicked money/life decisions now will come back to haunt later?

    Something else?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,197

    I read history books, about the downfall of the Soviet Union, stuff like that.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    19,354

    Nothing, Brexit and Sterling is a bigger concern for me.

    Kowloon Goon likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,277
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Nothing, Brexit and Sterling is a bigger concern for me.
    Why worry about Raheem? He's blossomed into one of England's best footballers.


    In all seriousness you aren't hedging with your funds in a different currency?
    hullexile likes this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    19,354
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    Why worry about Raheem? He's blossomed into one of England's best footballers.


    In all seriousness you aren't hedging with your funds in a different currency?
    I live off a pension so can't shift that to another currency unfortunately. I have no assets in pounds apart from the pension though.
    huja likes this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a sunny un spoilt paradise
    Posts
    6,805

    A good book to read, The Sovereign Individual by James Dale Davidson & William Rees Mogg





    The video very lightly explains the buy up of opulent luxury property in Wanaka / Queenstown, New Zealand, by some of the worlds richest Americans as their safe haven bolt hole, for when the rest of the world turns to economic shiz, they'll be about as far away from it all, that's humanly possible.

    Last edited by Skyhook; 18-05-2019 at 06:40 AM.
    huja and Drunken Master like this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    A good book to read, The Sovereign Individual by James Dale Davidson & William Rees Mogg





    The video very lightly explains the buy up of opulent luxury property in Wanaka / Queenstown, New Zealand, by some of the worlds richest Americans as their safe haven bolt hole, for when the rest of the world turns to economic shiz, they'll be about as far away from it all, that's humanly possible.
    I just looked up this book. It's a (c) 1999. Is it still relevant? (No snark or criticism intended. Sincere question)

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,949
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    I just looked up this book. It's a (c) 1999. Is it still relevant? (No snark or criticism intended. Sincere question)
    They weren't wrong, just very early
    Skyhook likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,277
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    They weren't wrong, just very early
    What's the feeling in Japan, Brit? Is this trade war catastrophe or an opportunity?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    25,353
    Is this trade war catastrophe or an opportunity?
    Trade war - not worried. Seriously not worried. It will sort itself out in an election cycle or two.

    More than the trade war, I'm more concerned about dogs being wagged during this election cycle. Does Trump need a trade war or a real war to get reelected?

    I suspect Trump needs to get reelected and has no option to step down, to complete the transformation of the Supreme Court and other institutions to align with the Christian right. He is just another dog being wagged.

    The step back into the dark ages when it comes to human rights in the US, is more concerning than 25% duty on iPhone and cow semen. iPhones and cow semen can be replaced in a couple of reporting cycles. Real wars and legal infrastructure the way it is in the US is generational...
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast