Like Tree20Likes

Planto - HK personal finance and budgeting app

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I am not sure at all about this particular company, but it looks like they may be utilising the open banking API which the HKMA have started rolling out this year (just 10 years later than other countries)

https://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-func...approach.shtml
    I don't see a phase III implementation schedule, which is what would be required for transactions.

Original Post Deleted
    Citibank one is optional, you can choose to use the keyfob or use sms/mobile app
    shri likes this.

Actually they had telex and fax then right, so anyone could fax an instruction into the bank?
    The revolution will be telexed!

With appropriate apologies for an irrelevant reply.

Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't see a phase III implementation schedule, which is what would be required for transactions.
    Yeah... I haven't really been paying attention to this space.. Surely we must have a start-up in the Geo audience who can enlighten us?

Was it GINI?

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    Was it GINI?
    Yep, that's the one.

In the U.S., Mint aggregates everything in your financials that you let it, and Intuit owns Mint, and Intuit makes TurboTax, which is probably the most commonly used self-preparer US tax software. Another popular financial aggregator is provided by Personal Capital. Some other companies offer similar functionality.

The issue I had with Gini is it didn't support all my HK accounts, so I deleted it. Planto supports every single one of my HK accounts from a PrimeCredit credit card to Chong Hing Bank to HSBC MPF and ORSO accounts. It'd be hard to beat Planto in terms of sheer aggregation functionality. So many different HK banks/financial institutions with various types of logins.

One issue/thing is since Planto doesn't have bank's permission is that HSBC, PrimeCredit, and some others make you re-authenticate with an SMS or a keyfob password or that bank's app generated one-time code (HSBC) every two days or more often. However, it's nice to track my net worth in HK with one app even with the requirement to re-authenticate most times I want to get the latest updated picture of my expenses and savings and such.

Also the Planto app is always being updated and seems to ask me to allow Google to access a bit of my info to sync my info.

Everyone is welcome to their security in their keyfobs and the like, and if you just let SC or HSBC run your entire financial life of a mortgage(s), credit cards, savings, checking, and such then it's fairly unnecessary, but if you have multiple accounts with various financial institutions in HK then it sure seems nice to me. Pros and cons, the choice is yours.

rkenia852 and Jamthe like this.

I'm new here, and I stumbled upon this thread while looking for similar info. Thanks for sharing your experiences with different personal finance apps.