Needing a lot of information on Hong Kong entrepreneurs.

Need a lot of information on Hong Kong entrepreneurs.

Hello to all, and thanks for reading.

I'm addressing to you because I don't seem to be able to find certain information I'm looking for on the matter of entrepreneurship in Hong Kong. As a freelancing consultant, I'm beginning with the project of building a truly huge list of technological entrepreneurs and startups in the region, raking them according to certain parameters such as company valuation, yearly revenue and so on, but so far I have not been able to find a list of Hong Kong registered companies according (for example) to their revenue, or of newly registered technology businesses in Hong Kong, for that matter. Is this data perhaps not supposed to be in the public dominon? If this is not the case, perhaps you could point out where could I find or look for this data, or to which official agency should I refer to ask for it?

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by MiguelMLS; 12-09-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelMLS
    Hello to all, and thanks for reading.

I'm addressing to you because I don't seem to be able to find certain information I'm looking for on the matter of entrepreneurship in Hong Kong. As a freelancing consultant, I'm beginning with the project of building a truly huge list of technological entrepreneurs and startups in the region, raking them according to certain parameters such as company valuation, yearly revenue and so on, but so far I have not been able to find a list of Hong Kong registered companies according (for example) to their revenue, or of newly registered technology businesses in Hong Kong, for that matter. Is this data perhaps not supposed to be in the public dominon? If this is not the case, perhaps you could point out where could I find or look for this data, or to which official agency should I refer to ask for it?

Many thanks in advance!
    Might be better to change your geography a tad, Shenzhen would be where all the action is. Entrepreneur is the new state of the art there

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Might be better to change your geography a tad, Shenzhen would be where all the action is. Entrepreneur is the new state of the art there
    Yes, so I have read already in the GEM Report of 2016; Shenzhen's numbers by now must be astounding. But the company I'm working with is located in Hong Kong, and (quite reasonably) they want to know what's going on in their own neighborhood. Can you perhaps lend me a hand with that?

Valuation of private companies??

You might get some info from the angel groups, Chambers and invest HK. Not public info and certainly not scrapable.

D&B might have some.. but doubt it is current, I have refused them info as they tend to (I think) fake their approach - a client of ours wants to do business with you type BS.

Shenzhen may be astounding... But there is a lot of smoke and mirrors and everyone and their dog is a unicorn.

Hi,

You may want to see if ITC will help you at all. For example, they give out the PAG (patent application grant) that startups can use to apply for patents (we deal with a lot of these people as we are a patent firm).

https://www.itc.gov.hk/en/welcome.htm

The Hong Kong Productivity Council works with ITC on the PAG scheme.

Then you might want to get some statistics from incubator places like HK Science Park and Cyberport. But many companies are super tiny, just starting out, basically NO income.

Is there some tech area you are interested in or is more the financial picture?

Anyway here is also an ITC report that gives an overview of places to look for tech info.

https://www.itc.gov.hk/en/doc/HK_fac...N)_Apr2019.pdf

Yes, Shri, at least an approximate valuation, or a determinate range of value thay they belong to. Ultimately, the purpose would be to choose some prominent examples from each range (from the most successfull in absolute terms to the medium and low-success startups) and begin to further know the entrepreneurs that are behind them.

I get the sense that many people would like to be in this list, as it would give them free publicity. After all, it could perhaps eventually become sort of a massive entrepreneurial ranking for all Hong Kong businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Hi,

You may want to see if ITC will help you at all. For example, they give out the PAG (patent application grant) that startups can use to apply for patents (we deal with a lot of these people as we are a patent firm).

https://www.itc.gov.hk/en/welcome.htm

The Hong Kong Productivity Council works with ITC on the PAG scheme.

Then you might want to get some statistics from incubator places like HK Science Park and Cyberport. But many companies are super tiny, just starting out, basically NO income.

Is there some tech area you are interested in or is more the financial picture?

Anyway here is also an ITC report that gives an overview of places to look for tech info.

https://www.itc.gov.hk/en/doc/HK_fac...N)_Apr2019.pdf
    Thank you very much! I'll get in touch and see if they can help. And yes, in fact we have a special (though not exclusive) interest in new businesses that focus on innovative technologies (something akin to the next Tesla, or who wants to become like that). But this interest is secondary to our main interest in ranking Hong Kong businesses according to metrics like the ones I mentioned.
    Last edited by MiguelMLS; 12-09-2019 at 06:23 PM.