Like Tree167Likes

Inflation or Deflation ahead?

Reply
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    FFS . . . Economist should just use the shrug emoji as their default answer to every question.


    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/b...ing-point.html
    On the plus side, we can always find an economist who supports whatever views we have.
    huja and hullexile like this.

  2. #202

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    30,010
    Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    FFS . . . Economist should just use the shrug emoji as their default answer to every question.


    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/b...ing-point.html
    Unfortunately the non economists are worse sometimes.

    In the last burst of inflation here, on the flagship business programme of a news channel:

    "The government figures say that inflation has reduced from 6.5% to 6% but people have not seen these falling prices. Are the government figures wrong?"

  3. #203

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    30,010
    Original Post Deleted
    Yes but that is not what they meant. Live TV is a valid excuse, we all get confused at times, especially with a stream of numbers. That presenter does regularly, definitely not Blomberg quality.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Unfortunately the non economists are worse sometimes.

    In the last burst of inflation here, on the flagship business programme of a news channel:

    "The government figures say that inflation has reduced from 6.5% to 6% but people have not seen these falling prices. Are the government figures wrong?"
    Can't get behind the paywall, but inflation falling from 6.5% to 6% just means that prices are rising YOY at a slightly slower rate. It does not mean that prices are falling. Or am I missing something?

    Also, "inflation" numbers are generally the CPI (or core CPI) which will differ from what people actually experience because their basket of expenses will differ from the basket used to calculate CPI.

  5. #205

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Can't get behind the paywall, but inflation falling from 6.5% to 6% just means that prices are rising YOY at a slightly slower rate. It does not mean that prices are falling. Or am I missing something?
    Hull got that, that's why he quoted some others who apparently don't get it.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    Hull got that, that's why he quoted some others who apparently don't get it.
    @Hull - sorry, didn't read your posts closely enough.

    My bad.

  7. #207

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    544

    inflation is cooling because prices are not longer going up but it doesn't mean prices are coming down. commodity and other price remains high.


  8. #208

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    536

    HSBC Hibor back to 2.5500, which is Sept-2022 level.
    Rate increase are definitely near the peak now and things will move slower.


  9. #209

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    48,311
    Quote Originally Posted by redslert:
    HSBC Hibor back to 2.5500, which is Sept-2022 level.
    Rate increase are definitely near the peak now and things will move slower.
    Fed should 0.25% today... ?

  10. #210

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    48,311

    Back on topic ... the IMF report is interesting with the UK being the only "major" economy showing -ve growth.

    https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/...e-january-2023


Reply
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast