Like Tree14Likes

E-Commerce Opportunities in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

With a few exceptions, it's impossible to beat Jardines / CKH. They own half the property so as soon as you create a disruptive idea they are gonna just build a competitor without the burden of rent. This especially true of the O2O component of your business. This is why most companies form strategic partnerships with one of the conglomerates when they want to enter HK.

HKTVMall is a notable exception but the company has access to a lot of capital.

For e-commerce it's usually best to do the warehousing in a cheaper jurisdiction outside of HK and form a partnership with one of the major couriers (most likely SF express).

tf19, Hagen1 and markranson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not really... Protests and pandemics have been brutal on the startup economy. Besides hk specifically has never been startup friendly unless you have a ton of cash to burn through.

What are you really after in terms of info or specifics?
    Very true. I just want to get a feel for the current industry status in HK. Get inspired and hopefully inspire others.

If you really want to explore e-commerce go find some SZ expat forum.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    With a few exceptions, it's impossible to beat Jardines / CKH. They own half the property so as soon as you create a disruptive idea they are gonna just build a competitor without the burden of rent. This especially true of the O2O component of your business. This is why most companies form strategic partnerships with one of the conglomerates when they want to enter HK.

HKTVMall is a notable exception but the company has access to a lot of capital.

For e-commerce it's usually best to do the warehousing in a cheaper jurisdiction outside of HK and form a partnership with one of the major couriers (most likely SF express).
    Thanks, great input. E-commerce in general is very capital intensive and I guess that's even more the case in HK. I find dropshipping as an alternative very 2000, hard to serve customers well with that model.

Sounds like two possibilities: Work for one of the big players (or startups if there are any) or start with a great idea and tons of cash.

In Europe half of the consumers start searching on google and the other half on Amazon. So via google the customer is still accessible.

Where do you guys start looking for a product nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen1:
    Where do you guys start looking for a product nowadays?
    Amazon
    Hagen1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen1:
    Thanks, great input. E-commerce in general is very capital intensive and I guess that's even more the case in HK. I find dropshipping as an alternative very 2000, hard to serve customers well with that model.
    Dropshipping is also pointless because most people in HK know how to go on Taobao and contact your factory directly, cutting out the middleman. Everyone else knows someone who can do this.
    Hagen1 likes this.