Like Tree24Likes

Farcical housing situation

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    My impression is that it's just a question of which developers are disastrously bad, and which ones are simply bad. Do any of the developers use, following Plutark's example, double glazing as standard? It should be fairly mind boggling that single glazed windows are even allowed in HK, but we've come to expect it.
    well, ask the overlords.. the civil servants that set the rules in construction over the last 100 or so years ? which probably wasn't local...

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    well, ask the overlords.. the civil servants that set the rules in construction over the last 100 or so years ? which probably wasn't local...
    I don't think we can really blame the old colonial masters for the current state of building standards...
    Sage, blandy62, cookie09 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I don't think we can really blame the old colonial masters for the current state of building standards...
    why not.. you can only blame 2 different group of people.
    1. the civil servants setting the rules.
    2. the largest developer at that time lobbying and building the residential estates

"As part of the business strategy, Swire Properties was established in 1972 immediately after the closing of the dockyard. Taikoo Shing became one of Hong Kong's first major private housing estates. Completing in 1986, Swire immediately became one of the largest property companies doing the construction themselves.[2] The area was designed to maximise middle-class residential capacity."
    BCD likes this.

Is there actually a big enough demand for double glazing windows in Hong Kong?

Money talks so loudly here, that if it made economic sense, I'm sure it would be more popular. I've just rarely seen them even amongst people who renovate their own homes.

Is that a cost/benefit reason? or an information and education reason?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Is there actually a big enough demand for double glazing windows in Hong Kong?

Money talks so loudly here, that if it made economic sense, I'm sure it would be more popular. I've just rarely seen them even amongst people who renovate their own homes.

Is that a cost/benefit reason? or an information and education reason?
    Who's cost and who's benefit?

Power in HK is too cheap.

My place is double glazed, the main reason is noise insulation (which works fantastically well). Energy conservation is an undoubted benefit too, but quantifying it is way too difficult, simply because the govt and the developers and err HK people don't really give a shit about energy conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    why not.. you can only blame 2 different group of people.
    1. the civil servants setting the rules.
    2. the largest developer at that time lobbying and building the residential estates
    Perhaps you have not been in Hong Kong long (ever)

Civil Servants implement policy created by the executive
    Property developers have been given LegCo lobbying roles by the executive

Original Post Deleted

Corrected it for you

Original Post Deleted
    I looked at the air cons which heat before, but the reviews were not good so I decided against it, especially as I'm ok dealing with the cold for a couple of weeks. I got a cheapish electric heater which does the job.

But the point about landlords not caring much before showing the flat, I think thats due to the flat buying culture here. Most people buy with no thought of comfort, its all about money and investment. They care more about the $/sqft than the open views or convenience.

I remember when I was buying and there was one I couldn't see because someone was renting it. My agent showed me photos, and I'm like are you joking? You expect me to spend my life savings (and mortgage the next 30 years) for something I've never seen.

I will never understand the people who queue up for new estates that won't be completed for a few years and they have no idea what it will really be like. (actually i do understand - probably for investment/rent out or a fear of missing out with the price increases).