Hopefully a Simple Question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hopefully a Simple Question

I keep seeing people telling others they are going to be double taxed if they are from the USA and others saying they won't be. After reading up on the subject I came to the following conclusions that hopefully someone more knowledgeable can verify:

Any income I earn in Hong Kong under 80k USD is exempt from US taxes provided I meet the criteria, which I understand is (among other things) living in HK for 330 days of the calendar year.

Does this sound correct?

sounds right to me...the exemption for this yr is $86K i think as i just filed my tax a few months ago.

But keep in mind that expat benefits paid on your behalf by a company can count as income.

That's correct, and your HK taxes will come due in lump sums about 3 months apart. They will also seem laughably small compared to US taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by jahoga:
    That's correct, and your HK taxes will come due in lump sums about 3 months apart. They will also seem laughably small compared to US taxes.
    Will we get a tax notice of some sort automatically from the HK gov? or do we need to file by a particular date like in the US?
    thx.

Quote Originally Posted by saun-fam:
    Will we get a tax notice of some sort automatically from the HK gov? or do we need to file by a particular date like in the US?
    thx.
    I have the same question. This forum should be govt sponsored. Such good info here!

My accountants have dates they want things paid by, so I assume there is a specific date. Otherwise you could just pay "whenever" and I can't see any government going for that. For instance, my 2007/2008 taxes are payable on 29 January and 27 April.

Your HK employer should have reported your employment to the HK Inland Revenue Department. Then every year the IRD will send you a letter asking you to file the tax return. In other words you get a reminder from the HK government.

Your HR department should be able to tell you all of this.

Just so you don't worry. This time last year I had already paid my first instalment, this year I have not received my assessment from HK Gov yet.

If you register for the HK Gov electronic site they will send you reminders when your tax has to be paid, so you won't forget.

GovHK: eTAX Password

Hi.. does it mean that after the 86K exempt; the rest of all income will subject to US tax?
    So need to pay HK tax for the work income for full amount and US tax for the after 86K total inclusive income?

Sorry.. not sure if I get it..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast