Like Tree26Likes

The Plan Is To Make You Permanently Poor

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/15/b...OdOcJHj2iVORdc

The only solution to higher rents is increased housing supply. Every time regulations are introduced to cap rents or to manufacture more "tenants rights", the harder it becomes to secure good rental accommodation at a reasonable price. Always and without exception. We're seeing that playing out in places like New Zealand and Scotland right now.
    huja likes this.

Sell everything and buy Dogecoin.

traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    Sell everything and buy Dogecoin.
    Didn't work out so well last time I tried that:

https://www.deseret.com/1998/10/2/19...y-costume-toys

Watched the video twice. First because his experience at LSE with super achieving rich kids as peers.. kids who have started charities, become directors of companies etc (on their overwhelming CVs) and have lined up multiple job offers. Second because of the second 2/3rds of the content being very relevant to the economic issues.

Really interesting and thought-provoking.

The revolution will be TikTok-ed...

RobRoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Didn't work out so well last time I tried that:

https://www.deseret.com/1998/10/2/19...y-costume-toys
    I see..I didn't know HK had a dark past too with Snoopy. We went through a v dark and unspeakable period too - it was Hello Kitty that got us.

ASIANOW - Asiaweek | Arts & Sciences | In A McKitty Frenzy | 2/18/2000

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...23793654859518

I still can't decide what's worse. The behaviour or that we had "experts" who couldn't figure out the problem and thot this was important enough to write paper on OR that some Sgs actually complained to Sanrio Japan (oh yeah) for doing a piss poor job with the sale and marketing and if they had gotten their shit together, this would have never happened. Can't find any news article on it anymore but I remember..

A sordid past..the more you dig... There was Doraemon later on.

Name:  IMG-20221020-WA0001.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  100.6 KB

Chinese news mentioned ppl were organizing group buys from HK for these pigs. McDonalds found out and wasted no time in adding the pig back because they know from experience they cannot afford to fuck around with lunatics.

I think we must have some dirt on McDonalds bcos HK, UK and US are like these:

Name:  IMG-20221020-WA0003.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG-20221020-WA0002.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  24.7 KB

For Singapore, near full page chi and eng newspaper...

Name:  IMG-20221020-WA0004.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  84.5 KB

I constantly hear renters (in the uk) say:

"My rent is more than the landlord's mortgage" or "the landlord just keeps raising the price".

Now aside from the landlord's funding cost being no business of the tenant, there are costs such as tax, maintenance, utility inspections, insurances, licenses and agency fees. Clearly the landlord cannot keep raising the price arbitrarily as they would find no prospective tenants. It is all a supply issue and landlords continue to sell up (at least in London I have property). The minimum ERC rating will further reduce the rental stock.

The next few years are going to be really interesting for rents. Tenants appear to think there is some security in claiming they can't take more rent increases, they should consider the reality of existing lets being converted to HMOs.

I've reduced my rentals to 1 in the uk. The gov clearly doesn't want to build houses so I suspect landlords with >1 property will get clobbered some more to win votes.

Complaining about capitalism is something of a first world problem. Just ask anyone who experienced communism first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:
    Complaining about capitalism is something of a first world problem. Just ask anyone who experienced communism first hand.
    It's not capitalism, it's became crapitalism created by the neoliberals from the US.