Gift Suggestion Chinese Business Associate

Closed Thread

Gift Suggestion Chinese Business Associate

Hello, I have been invited to my Chinese business partner's new home for lunch. I know that a gift is appropriate and would like ideas in the 4000HKD range. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.....

Whatever you do, not a clock or a knife (or anything sharp).

maybe some expensive liquors??
    anyway Chinese people like things that LOOK expensive

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Grand Champagne Cognac unblended.

Thanks!

I was thinking about some French and / US wine since its something that I know a bit about... I was worried that might now be appropriate since it's a "consumable"....(Yes, I am new at this...)

Gosh, you're generous. Are you referring to a congratulatory gift for the new home or simply to thank him/her for the lunch. If the latter, then a fruit basket or a box of nice biscuits will be fine. For the former, an ornament or a picture with some prosperous meaning will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Grand Champagne Cognac unblended.
    Yup you can't go wrong with a bottle of XO

Quote Originally Posted by Swell:
    Gosh, you're generous. Are you referring to a congratulatory gift for the new home or simply to thank him/her for the lunch. If the latter, then a fruit basket or a box of nice biscuits will be fine. For the former, an ornament or a picture with some prosperous meaning will be good.
    Hi Swell, thanks for the suggestions. My "budget" was determined by taking about 2/3 of the price of a "welcome to china" gift given by this couple to a member of my family... Does that seem about right?? (Since the gift given is a limited edition, it was easy to determine the price...) Many thanks for your assistance.

To OP: okay, then maybe try something from Lalique or Swarovski, so they can instantly recognise the brand and value.

Thanks Swell

I was thinking Lalique. The husband is not a big drinker and I have never seen his wife drink - hence my reticence with liquor. Many thanks for your suggestions.