HK, staying relevant..

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Fact 1: International School enrolment skyrocketing in the last 10 years(local and expat) as demonstrated by the building of the 2 new ESF schools, the new upcoming GSIS school, the new ICS school and the doubling of students at CDNIS etc...

Fact2 Airport and airline ranking

Fact3 Port facility growth and top ranking though I am openly granting that Singapore, Shanghai have had more growth than HK

Fact4 Economic freedom ranking number 1

Nothing related to my opinion... happy?

fm7
    The Monocle Quality of Life index is an interesting, because it asses a range of what makes a city attractive. In last year's survey, Tokyo, Fukuoka, Kyoto and Singapore all made the top 25. While I didn't agree with every choice, it's a pretty good basis for a discussion about the issues involved (and by extension, HK's "competition" regionally and internationally as a "great place to live and work").

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If HK is so crap, when why are we still here?

er2

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    who claimed it was crap?? Imho it is excellent and, most of all, it has some unique factors that other places will never have. I love Singapore. Now please, could we have some hills there, at least 600m, plus a place like Mongkok. And while we're at it, a little bit bigger would really make it claustrophobic. Maybe some extension with nice beaches?

In the good old time, when Czars and Kings ruled the world, SG could have just bought Batam

To all the people who think HK is crap, please move on and bugger off, go to SG/Shanghai/Beijing/or where you came from. We don't need people like you here to spoil our fun.

HK is great for such an overcroweded country, its safe, public transportation is great etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    We're talking about how HK will stay relevant in the future, not right this minute.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think, if you are employed by a firm it only matters what they think and it seems many don't think HK is all that anymore.

Gilles, things have changed very, very rapidly and I believe you would have to have your head in the sand at this point to think 'you've seen this before.' I started the thread because when the financial crisis first hit many people started to get off on the fact that bankers were being fired left right and centre. Many people stupidly thought it would never affect them. Now, of my friends still in HK (they are being given marching orders all the time, either out of a job or to another country) the only ones who seem to be sticking around or have any future in HK are in the finance industry.

FM7, i agree with your assesment that in HK, more than in most other countries (typical ex-pat countries that is) you are given too many either/or choices. I really love HK but just because I do doesn't mean we/they need to rest on their laurels and not look at how to improve their 'offering' to remain a coveted place to live and work.

er2

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    To all the people who think HK is crap
    Whom do you think you're referring to here??

Yeah ER2 I'm confused too. It's funny how having a discussion like this can engender ridiculous comments like 'go back home then if you don't like it'. Wt?

Quote Originally Posted by er2
    Whom do you think you're referring to here??
    not you!!!

Just to the moaners that keep saying other countries are better at this and that but they still stay here, if they think its that bad why bother. Just get fed up once in a while.

A few years back a workmate kept on moaning about work, i just told him, if you really hate it that much why dont you find something else, no one is forcing you to stay there, then he replied "Oh your right". quite funny at that time.

I think HK's great for what its worth, been here quite a while and love it, HK will keep on getting better apart for the Smog (luckily its not there at the moment, very clear and high clouds). Have expat friends that work here and love it and dont want to go back home (unless to visit family).

Haahaa got red blobed already. whatever.
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 25-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.

A (very pro China) friend of mine suggested Beijing (Govt.) suppressed Shanghai's development in order to keep HK's economy stable and that if Beijing wanted to, it could have developed Shanghai or any other city it wanted to into something that could have eclipsed HK as a financial centre ages ago.....

As another poster said, HK is just another city in China now no?

Personally... I just think there's just more options now, everything is so well connected and people in general are more clued up on things. You can choose to stay or move on, maybe later come back?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast