New website - computer software

Closed Thread

New website - computer software

Hi all,

I am launching this service selling site by Dec2009 and was wondering if I must run and admin the site using a desktop that has window xp business (or whatever you call it) and MS office professional installed (as against using my own home computer with window xp home and MS office standard)?

Site has been registered as a Limited company

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

People recommend against the Student version of Office 2007 for presentations as it displays "Made in Office 2007 Student Edition" across the top or something. Otherwise it's just extra features only clerical staff care about.

Thanks for the reply MrMoo
    So basically it wouldn't constitute a breach of licence or attract any legal actions if a business uses versions of software that are, explicitly stated, for home users only?

Why not avoid the issue entirely and install Ubuntu Linux and Open Office?

Quote Originally Posted by daveross:
    Why not avoid the issue entirely and install Ubuntu Linux and Open Office?
    Oh, brilliant suggestion. OP has a deadline and clearly is a bit light in the tech area, and you're suggesting a completely unfamiliar OS and productivity suite?

What are you using to administer your site?

Is your site based on Frontpage?

XP version should be irrelevant to websites and you can run XP Home in a business / commercial environment.

MS Office should also be irrelevant to websites unless you're using Frontpage (which I don't think is included in office anymore).

If you're running a home business and want to stay true to the license, I recommend upgrading to the lowest commercial level.

Here are the office versions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...635841033.aspx

I only saw a legal question. Dablackswan made no mention of being weak in the tech area.

Thanks for all the replies

Well first thing first I am weak in the tech area so I won't consider OS other than MS.
    I know that you can probably run a profit-taking site from home, just that I have registered it as a Limtied Company to avoid potential legal issues and thought it might be an issue when it comes to software licencing.
    Site is not using Frontpage and so as long as its fine to use XP home and office home I'll save myself some 4-5k.

Btw, I have been working on this site on my own for about 6 months now and I've come across so many problems that don't know where to turn to, have always thought that it'll be great to have people doing similar things to talk to
    anyone out there can share their first time business experience?

First time business, or first time website? For the former, there is this: The Entrepreneurs Club

Site is actually a job posting site (with video interview and online test and a compatibility scoring system) with a freelancer project bidding section.
    Main reason for a ltd over sole prop:
    1) Legal protection
    2) Most of the customers will be companies of all sorts that are hiring, I want it to convey the message of a safe transaction platform as well as a well-established site with a name ended with Limited.

I've outsourced the infrastructure building bit to an Indian team, and for the past six months, we've been liasing back and forth on major and tiny issues. I know I probably should have come up with a better working plan with the site building team (guess one of the major lessons I've learnt) and that we have been stuck a couple of times cos I wasn't familiar with the tech area of different components.
    But yea its all going good now the building bit, Im about to move on to site launch and initial marketing campaign which again I have no experiences on!