Like Tree30Likes

16/10 Occupy Hong Kong Updates

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Fishy statistics if you asked me.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Thanks.

So next question is about the statement, "HK has lost 350 billion HK dollars in the period since the unrest began to October 7th". HK$350 billion seems quite a lot to me. Anyone have an idea how he got this figure?
    Hong Kong's nominal GDP (not PPP) for all of 2013 was $274 billion USD in 2013 according to the IMF: List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At today's exchange rate of 7.76 HKD to $1 USD, HK's nominal GDP in 2013 was $2.12 Trillion HKD. Divide $2.12 Trillion by 12 and last year, Hong Kong's average nominal GDP for an entire month was 177 Billion HKD.

So Occupy Central has cost HKD $350 billion in losses, which is equivalent to two months of Hong Kong's nominal GDP from 2013 (ie. shutting down all production, services, and businesses in HK for 2 months straight).

The funny thing is, Occupy Central isn't even 2 months old. How it can do the same damage as shutting down all of HK's production, services, and businesses for 2 months straight is beyond me.

See Reddit

Thanks.

So next question is about the statement, "HK has lost 350 billion HK dollars in the period since the unrest began to October 7th". HK$350 billion seems quite a lot to me. Anyone have an idea how he got this figure?
    I think the source article they translated got this wrong. This guy seems to be the founder of "Silent Majority":

Professor putting a price on protest | South China Morning Post
    drumbrake likes this.

See Reddit
    I love that delicious irony...

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7