Like Tree108Likes

Week 4 Occupy Updates / Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Name:  Screenshot_2014-10-20-21-23-07.png
Views: 125
Size:  771.4 KB

Another injunction

The students are ready for tomorrow. Hopefully...

So CY has said they can't have civil nomination because then the poor would have too much political influence :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I read an article on the New York Times that said Beijing's claim that they remain at arm's length over the OC protest by letting the HK government deal with it is in fact false. The article claims Beijing is the one behind-the-scenes directing the strategy dealing with the OC protest. The article alleges that there is a secret compound in Shenzhen where HK government officials meet with their Beijing counter-parts to discuss the latest OC development and devise a counter-strategy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/wo...ests.html?_r=0

That seems hardly surprising to me if true. That would explain the HK government incompetent reaction after all. First send in the tear gas and then try to wait out the protest without giving an inch. That has all the hallmarks of Beijing's action after all.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The students are ready for tomorrow. Hopefully...

To be realistic, I really don't know what this TV debate tomorrow can accomplish, sad as I have to say it. The government will repeat their position and the student leaders will repeat their positions. They all talk past one another, unable to overcome their deep-seated mutual suspicions. At most, there might be one or two pleasantries exchanged, like the government giving empty and useless promises that they will "listen to the demands" of the students. And we are still stuck at where we are.

In some sense, maybe it is better to negotiate behind closed doors. In front of the cameras, both sides will be pressured to stick to their positions without any hint of compromise for fear of damaging their cause. Whereas when you discuss it behind closed doors, there may be more room for flexibility and at least a greater possibility of compromise.

Especially in Chinese culture, where face matters so much, each side will fear losing face in the glare of the public eye from the TV debate. They will be forced to stick to their positions. Nothing meaningful can be discussed like that I fear.

Hope I'm wrong...
    Gatts likes this.

Must read....

Mefisto likes this.

Well, Night has come and the barricades are unmanned bar a couple of "guardians". The people have melted away from its sidewalks . But hours after the courts decision, the police have taken no action. Proof if it was needed that clearing the streets are not top of their particular agenda.

Moving away was a good move by OC ahead of the talks.

More than an hour later .. no one round the barricade. Police just stood around. Maybe they think it's a cunning trap!

So 5am + again. No people .. and the barricades are still there.

So Court Order
    Police on Scene
    No one about.
    Name:  nothing.png
Views: 105
Size:  376.7 KB

REALLY makes you wonder if the Police just want to fight and not act on behalf of the law / courts. The anti occupiers should really get angry at their friends the Police -- ya think?

Its a 14 day clearout injunction, its only after the 14 day has passed that the police will do anything.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast