Like Tree22Likes

CY Leung isn't even communist

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That be easily fixed with multiple investigations, court cases and what not ... Not to mention he will have to get used a whole new class of friends like long hair ..

Not just his career .. his families future. Unless he has done what all communists with money seem to do.. moved funds to unknown countries and arranged for passports for the rest of his family.
    Oh yes, Beijing can make life quite...unpleasant for those who cross them. And not just the "legal" ways to squeeze their enemies dry, but there are so many "extra-legal methods" in Beijing's arsenal.

As for taking another passport and fleeing to another country (like so many corrupted mainland officials), I suppose CY could do that (or apply for political asylum), but he can kiss goodbye any chance of ever returning to HK or visit the mainland. And Beijing no doubt will "remind" him of that if he ever contemplates such a drastic step.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 13-11-2014 at 01:55 PM.

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not just his career .. his family's future. Unless he has done what all communists with money seem to do.. moved funds to unknown countries and arranged for passports for the rest of his family.
    With the growing power and economy of China, I am not sure even that will be safe in the future. The PRC is already hunted for escaped corrupt officials and signing extradition treaties. Of course, there is good reason for this, but such means can be used for political ends to.
    Cho-man likes this.

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    T
    When this united front strategy was first devised (in the 80's), the business elite indeed was the key to HK's wealth and stability. Therefore, to protect investor confidence in Hong Kong after the handover, the CCP naturally sought to reassure the elite that their business dominance would be safe.
    I agree with everything you say, but I think now the strategy has morphed into 'we can control tycoons more easily than the average HK person when it come to voting'. The CCP want to maintain control, while keeping up the appearance that HK people are running HK. There is no other easy way to do it and if the tycoons felt really threatened there is always a risk they and their papers would start openly funding and supporting democrats.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    True, Beijing is ultimately to be blamed of course, they are the ones who control all the strings. But tycoons, while puppets of Beijing, aren't absolve of their responsibility. They are the ones picked to govern HK (i.e. Tung) or those serving their interest are picked (i.e. Tsang). But in either's case, they have done a pretty lousy job. Beijing expected the tycoon class to govern HK well, they have a lot of other things to worry about, they do not want HK to consume so much of their time and requiring their direct aid and intervention. But so far, the tycoon governing class have disappointed them.

Tung showed a complete lack of political skills, although I suppose you could at least say he was always well-intentioned, muddle-headed as he was. But Donald Tsang was in some ways, far worse. He knew what needed to be done (increase housing, decrease HK's economy reliance on the tycoons), but instead of addressing those issues, left it to rot and try to ease his way into the good graces of the tycoons. He placed his personal interest above that of HK, by weaseling into a position to benefit from the tycoons for his personal benefit at the expense of the rest of HK.

In a way, CY is actually better than those two predecessors, he at least is trying to address the housing shortage and in some small way, looked after the interest of locals (i.e. banning unrestricted trading of baby powder across the border). Many tycoons (i.e. Li Ka Shing) actually opposed his election as the CE. But whatever his good intentions, he is hamstrung by the same political system that bedeviled Tung and Tsang. He is accountable to Beijing, not Hong Kong. There is next-to-nothing he can do regarding the future CE election but toe the line of Beijing.

So yes, ultimately, Beijing is responsible. They design a system such that it places loyalty to them above governing competence. But the tycoon class also bear responsibilities. Whatever prowess they showed in their own business and industry has translated poorly into the political arena.
    Good points. I am sad to say that the points raised in Plato's Republic (regarding how the ruling of men is something that requires training/corruption issues) seem to be true.

One of my former professors in HK was on the council that advises the CE on housing matters sometime 10-20 years ago. During that time, they strongly advised the CE (I forget which one) to build more public housing but the CE couldn't be bothered to listen (probably didn't care since the predicted problem wouldn't be during his term). So, when any part of the government says that the housing crisis was unpredictable and due to unforeseen levels of immigration - they're not correct.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    So, when any part of the government says that the housing crisis was unpredictable and due to unforeseen levels of immigration - they're not correct.
    And who sets the immigration policy/immigration quotas? The government.

What a joke this place is.
    Cho-man likes this.

Look. All that needs to happen in HK and all that has ever happened in HK...is for big business and corporate interests to dominate and dictate.

All the names in the middle like CY Leung and occupy central and Xi Jinping and Beijing and democracy and freedom and rights and peaceful and love and for and protesters and agitators and gangsters...all these are just buzzwords to keep people sidelined.

At the end of the day, by hook or by crook...big business and corporate interests will dictate and dominate...and you all know it's true.

lol

And indeed it is. Hong Kong has one of the highest GDP per capita in the world, but most people live like shit (or at least have a much lower standard of living than in the poorest European country).

Quote Originally Posted by d-28:
    Look. All that needs to happen in HK and all that has ever happened in HK...is for big business and corporate interests to dominate and dictate.

All the names in the middle like CY Leung and occupy central and Xi Jinping and Beijing and democracy and freedom and rights and peaceful and love and for and protesters and agitators and gangsters...all these are just buzzwords to keep people sidelined.

At the end of the day, by hook or by crook...big business and corporate interests will dictate and dominate...and you all know it's true.

lol
    True. But I don't think anyone here would dispute that.

The more relevant question is whether that situation can be changed.

Of course people here would dispute that...this is the internet!

Xi echoes Mao's era with plans to send artists to live in rural communities. Mainland Chinese television presenters are among those people who will be sent to live among the masses in rural areas in order to “form a correct view of art”.

The arts should serve politics

Last edited by East_coast; 03-12-2014 at 01:29 AM.
    Cho-man likes this.