Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I don 't know if this has been posted before, but is quite interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/wo...ns-in-50s.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    I don 't know if this has been posted before, but is quite interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/wo...ns-in-50s.html
    That NY Times piece may have been inspired by an earlier local one:

The secret history of Hong Kong’s stillborn democracy (Quartz)
    These documents—which, perhaps unbeknownst to the People’s Daily, Hong Kong journalists have been busily mining (link in Chinese)—show that not only were the Brits mulling granting Hong Kong self-governance in the 1950s; it was the Chinese government under Mao Zedong who quashed these plans, threatening invasion. And the very reason Mao didn’t seize Hong Kong in the first place was so that the People’s Republic could enjoy the economic fruits of Britain’s colonial governance.
    The Party's problem is that its "media professionals" are woefully uneducated in the party's own history, or any other history to that matter (due to "he who controls the past..." principle). Inside China the masses will more or less lap it up lacking any alternative narratives, but outside where there is even a modicum of critical scrutiny they'd probably blush if they have retained that ability.

The media-savvy amateurs of HK could easily put together an utterly captivating full-length documentary just featuring the uncountable TV news clips, news articles and official tweets and statements used by the PRC and HK governments and easily debunking it all. Bonus points for getting it accidentally shown on CCTV as well.

RTHK

Joshua Wong slams 'curriculum influence' idea

28-10-2014

The convenor of the student group Scholarism, Joshua Wong, has criticised reported plans to water down the Liberal Studies curriculum in secondary schools by dropping elements focussing on local politics.

The Ming Pao newspaper had reported that senior officials blame the curriculum for encouraging pupils to join civil movements such as the Occupy protests.

The newspaper said the officials also wanted to add content on the Basic Law and the "one-nation concept". The Education Bureau said the curriculum review was ongoing and that results would be released in July.

And Tam Yiu-Chung, chairman of the pro-goverment DAB, says his party discussed possible "adjustments" with officials earlier this month.

But Mr Wong said the pupils were motivated by their reactions to the policies of the SAR and mainland governments, not by the Liberal Studies syllabus. He said the curriculum just taught them about their rights and responsibilities.

Joshua Wong slams 'curriculum influence' idea

Can someone translate this for me?

Seems to imply that China will punish us all by reducing the number of tourists allowed from up north, to HK.

Not surprising - could see this coming from the get-go:
    National education revival may be next firestorm to sweep HK

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Can someone translate this for me?

Seems to imply that China will punish us all by reducing the number of tourists allowed from up north, to HK.

He says: Based on reports Beijing is already taking measures to punish HK by reducing the no. of Chinese tourists...and they call that "punishment" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    He says: Based on reports Beijing is already taking measures to punish HK by reducing the no. of Chinese tourists...and they call that "punishment" ?
    Yep, it will have an affect on retailers who need very high turnover so they can meet their commercial rent commitments. Landlords hiked rents up based on that. If landlords are reasonable ( dont hold your breath ) they might lower rents exponentially to the reduction of tourists. Which would be nice....

If they really want to punish hk just turn off the water and what portion of electricty hk consumes from the mainland.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app
    shri likes this.

Skyhook - But that would mean that all the import / export / banking / trade which supports china revenues will slow down.

Another run of sorts ... interesting route.
    cookie09 and 100LL like this.

We are still looking for sponsors for buying some of the hungry students lunch or dinner.

PM me if you can donate time or cash...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast