Like Tree83Likes

Week 8 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

They are just going to wear down the protesters.

If they really wanted to clear out, they would have done it. Frankly it seems to be working. Less and less people talk about it. All transports have found alternative route....basically (and sadly) the movement is becoming less relevant and people are just going about their business and do not pay anymore attention.

The protesters need to find a new strategy it seems

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Mefisto and Cho-man like this.

Some bits & pieces

IIRC - Li Wei-Ling - the host of a weekday Apple Daily talk show (and who loves the students to death and supports them), had Joshua Wong on her show on Nov 5th and was pressing him to consider withdrawal. Joshua said he would do that only if there was an alternative that would give equal pressure and that he couldn't think of anything.

She had Alex Chow on the phone yesterday, and pressed him as well. Her and her co-host were actually quite exasperated with him. Her co-host bluntly said to Alex, "You started on a high, and now you've fallen off the pedestal.". Li Wei-ling gave a suggestion to Alex regarding taking the movement to the next stage - suggesting mass door-to-door canvassing.

Stephen Shiu Yeuk-yuen (a pro-dem host) went to Admiralty one evening in late Oct and appealed to people to go on Joshua Wong's and HKFS' Facebooks to get them to consider a stance that would make China feel more secure about national security. He also said that they should withdraw from occupying areas that affect ordinary citizens and to consider surrounding Legco only.

Last edited by threesummers; 18-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    Cho-man likes this.

all it takes is a misunderstanding, and walls will crumble

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    They are just going to wear down the protesters.

If they really wanted to clear out, they would have done it. Frankly it seems to be working. Less and less people talk about it. All transports have found alternative route....basically (and sadly) the movement is becoming less relevant and people are just going about their business and do not pay anymore attention.

The protesters need to find a new strategy it seems

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks
    Agree there may be a need for a new strategy. The students may have have overplayed their hands. Although to be honest, I do wonder if there can be a more effective strategy to pressure the government. Canvassing, surrounding legco etc, is all fine and well, but if it does not bring the government any real pressure to change, then it would be just as futile as the current situation.

As for less and less people talking about this, a compliant media is also helping the pro-establishment. You can see how the media intentionally avoids discussing the aim and demands raised by the OC, but only the inconvenience caused by the movement. Now they are even avoiding talking about the OC at all.

It is amusing though how the pro-establishment camp is saying this OC will bring disaster to HK if it continues and so far it clearly has not.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 18-11-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threesummers:
    IIRC - Li Wei-Ling - the host of a weekday Apple Daily talk show (and who loves the students to death and supports them), had Joshua Wong on her show on Nov 5th and was pressing him to consider withdrawal. Joshua said he would do that only if there was an alternative that would give equal pressure and that he couldn't think of anything.

She had Alex Chow on the phone yesterday, and pressed him as well. Her and her co-host were actually quite exasperated with him. Her co-host bluntly said to Alex, "You started on a high, and now you've fallen off the pedestal.". Li Wei-ling gave a suggestion to Alex regarding taking the movement to the next stage - suggesting mass door-to-door canvassing.

Stephen Shiu Yeuk-yuen (a pro-dem host) went to Admiralty one evening in late Oct and appealed to people to go on Joshua Wong's and HKFS' Facebooks to get them to consider a stance that would make China feel more secure about national security. He also said that they should withdraw from occupying areas that affect ordinary citizens and to consider surrounding Legco only.
    Li Wei Ling...hmm...I don't know. I will credit her for having the courage to have an independent voice in a town of ass-kissers. Her guts in refusing to kowtow to the powers-to-be was the reason she was kicked out of commerical radio (and hence moving to Apple Daily). So she deserves recognition for her bravery.

But at the same time, she tends to argue just for the sake of it in many cases. My cantonese is not perfect by any means, but I can understand enough to understand the main things she said on radio. And Ieaving aside this OC and pro-democracy camp for a moment, the other stuff she argues about can be quite iffy, like she is just stirring the pot to generate controversy. I know the media can sometimes do that to generate ratings, but Li often seem to go out of her way to create some controversy out of thin air. That tend to lower my respect for her.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 18-11-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    threesummers likes this.

Well the baliffs have removed the barricades at citic tower, and the students did not resist.

The big question now is what will happen at the main site on Harcourt road and at Mongkok, because things may not go so peacefully at Mongkok.

BBC News - Hong Kong authorities clearing part of Admiralty protest site

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Well the baliffs have removed the barricades at citic tower, and the students did not resist.

The big question now is what will happen at the main site on Harcourt road and at Mongkok, because things may not go so peacefully at Mongkok.

BBC News - Hong Kong authorities clearing part of Admiralty protest site

I walk by and there was a standoff with the police - just people gathering around the roundabout.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I walk by and there was a standoff with the police - just people gathering around the roundabout.
    But the press is reporting a different situation there, curious...or a lapse in time or judgment or something more insidious?

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    But the press is reporting a different situation there, curious...or a lapse in time or judgment or something more insidious?
    what did they report - I was there like a couple hours ago, they're just standing in front of each other, I saw more photographers than protesters though! it's pretty boring, it's like the journalist are waiting for something to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    what did they report - I was there like a couple hours ago, they're just standing in front of each other, I saw more photographers than protesters though! it's pretty boring, it's like the journalist are waiting for something to go wrong.
    Go to the BBC report link in my post.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast